Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Charles Buck Theological Dictionary
Faithfulness of God
Is that perfection of his nature whereby he infallibly fulfils his designs, or performs his word.
1. It appears, says Dr. Gill, in the performance of what he has said with respect to the world in general, that it shall not be destroyed by a flood, as it once was, and for a token of it, has set his bow in the clouds; that the ordinances of heaven should keep their due course, which they have done for almost 6000 years exactly and punctually; that all his creatures should be supported and provided for, and the elements all made subservient to that end, which we find do so according to his sovereign pleasure, Genesis 9:1-29 . Isaiah 54:1-17 . Ps. clxv. Deuteronomy 11:14-15 . 2 Peter 3:1-18 .
2. It appears in the fulfillment of what he has said with respect to Christ. Whoever will take the pains to compare the predictions of the birth, poverty, life, sufferings, death, resurrection, and ascension of Christ, with the accomplishment of the same, will find a striking demonstration of the faithfulness of God.
3. It appears in the performance of the promises which he has made to his people. In respect to temporal blessings, 1 Timothy 4:8 . Psalms 84:11 . Is. 33: 16.
4. 2. To spiritual, 1 Corinthians 1:9 . In supporting them in temptation, 1 Corinth. 10: 13. Encouraging them under persecution, 1 Peter 4:12-13 . Isaiah 41:10 . Sanctifying afflictions, Hebrews 12:4-12 . Directing them in difficulties, 1 Thessalonians 5:24 . Enabling them to persevere, Jeremiah 31:40 . Bringing them to glory, 1 John 2:25 .
5. It appears in the fulfilling of his threatenings. The curse came upon Adam according as it was threatened. He fulfilled his threatening to the old world in destroying it. He declared that the Israelites should be subject to his awful displeasure, if they walked not in his ways; it was accordingly fulfilled, Deuteronomy 28:1-68 :
6. See IMMUTABILITY.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Buck, Charles. Entry for 'Faithfulness of God'. Charles Buck Theological Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/cbd/f/faithfulness-of-god.html. 1802.
the Week of Proper 22 / Ordinary 27