Click here to get started today!
Charles Buck Theological Dictionary
Humiliation of Christ
Is that state of meanness and distress to which he voluntarily descended, for the purpose of executing his mediatorial work. This appears,
1. In his birth. He was born of a woman a sinful woman; though he was without sin, Galatians 4:4 . A poor woman, Luke 2:7; Luke 2:24 . In a poor country village, John 1:46 . In a stable, an abject place of a nature subject to infirmities, Hebrews 2:9 . hunger, thirst, weariness, pain, &c.
2. In his circumstances, laid in a manger when he was born; lived in obscurity for a long time; probably worked at the trade of a carpenter; had not a place where to lay his head; and was oppressed with poverty while he went about preaching the Gospel.
3. It appeared in his reputation: he was loaded with the most abusive railing and calumny, Is. 53: the most false accusations, Matthew 26:59; Matthew 26:67 . and the most ignominious ridicule, Psalms 22:6;. Matt 22: 68. John 7:35 .
4. In his soul he was often tempted, Matthew 4:1 , &c. Hebrews 2:17-18 . Hebrews 4:15 . grieved with the reproaches cast on himself, and with the sins and miseries of others, Hebrews 12:3 . Matthew 11:19 . John 11:35 , was burdened with the hidings of his Father's face, and the fears and impressions of his wrath, Psalms 22:1 . Luke 22:43 . Hebrews 5:7 .
5. In his death, scourged, crowned with thorns, received gall and vinegar to drink, and was crucified between two thieves, Luke 23:1-56 : John 19:1-42 : Mark 15:24-25 .
6. In his burial: not only was he born in another man's house, but he was buried in another man's tomb; for he had no tomb of his own, or family vault to be intered in, Is. 53: 10. &c. Matthew 13:46 .
The humiliation of Christ was necessary,
1. To execute the purpose of God, and covenant engagements of Christ, Acts 2:23-24 . Psalms 40:6-8 .
2. To fulfil the manifold types and predictions of the Old Testament.
3. To satisfy the broken law of God, and purchase eternal redemption for us, Isaiah 53:1-12 : Hebrews 9:12; Hebrews 9:15 .
4. To leave us an unspotted pattern of holiness and patience under suffering. Gill's Body of Div. p. 66, vol. 2: Brown's Nat. and Rev. Religion, p. 357; Ridgley's Body of Div. qu. 48.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Buck, Charles. Entry for 'Humiliation of Christ'. Charles Buck Theological Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/cbd/h/humiliation-of-christ.html. 1802.
the Week of Proper 12 / Ordinary 17