Click here to get started today!
Charles Buck Theological Dictionary
Union to Christ
That act of divine grace by which we are joined to Christ; and is considered,
1. As virtual, or that which was formed from all eternity, Ephesians 1:4 .
2. Vital, or spiritual, formed in the moment of our regeneration, John 17:26 , 1 John 4:13 . It is represented in the Scripture by the strongest expressions language can admit of, and even compared to the union between the Father and the Son, John 17:11; John 17:21 , &c. It is also compared to the union of a vine and its branches, John 15:4-5 . To the union of our food with our bodies, John 6:56-57 . To the union of the body with the head, Ephesians 4:15-16 .
To the conjugal union, Ephesians 5:23; Ephesians 5:30 . To the union of a king and his subjects, Matthew 25:34; Matthew 25:40 . To a building, 1 Peter 2:4-5 , Ephesians 2:21-22 . It is also represented by an identity or sameness of spirit, 1 Corinthians 6:17 . By an identity of body, 1 Corinthians 12:12; 1 Corinthians 12:27 . By an identity of interest, Matthew 25:40 . John 20:17 . This union must be considered not as a mere mental union only in comfort or notion; nor a physical union as between the head and the members; nor as an essential union, or union with the divine nature; but as a mystical union, Ephesians 5:32 . Honourable union, 1 John 3:1-2 . Supernatural union, 1 Corinthians 1:30 . Holy, 1 John 3:1-24 . Necessary, John 15:4 . Inviolable, Romans 8:38-39 . Some state it thus:
1. An union of natures, Hebrews 2:11 .
2. Of actions, his obedience being imputed to us, and our sins reckoned to him, 2 Corinthians 5:21 .
3. Of life, Colossians 3:4 .
4. Of sentiment, 2 Corinthians 5:17 .
5. Of interest, Matthew 25:34 , &c.
6. Of affection, 2 Corinthians 5:14 .
7. Of residence, John 17:24 . The advantages of it are knowledge, Ephesians 1:18 . Fellowship, 1 Corinthians 1:9 . Security, John 15:1-27 : Felicity, 1 Peter 1:8 . Spirituality, John 15:8 . and indeed, all the rich communications of spiritual blessings here and hereafter, Colossians 1:22 . The evidences of union to Christ are, light in the understanding, 1 Peter 2:9 . Affection to him, John 14:21 . Frequent communion with him, 1 John 1:3 . Delight in his word, ordinances, and people, Psalms 27:4; Psalms 119:1-176 : Submission to his will, and conformity to his image, 1 John 2:5 . Dickinson's Letters, let. 17; Flavel's Method of Grace, ser. 2; Polhill on Union; Brown's compend. b. 5. ch. 1.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Buck, Charles. Entry for 'Union to Christ'. Charles Buck Theological Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/cbd/u/union-to-christ.html. 1802.
the Week of Proper 6 / Ordinary 11