Click here to learn more!
Fausset's Bible Dictionary
1. Baasha's son and successor on the Israelite throne (1 Kings 16:8-10); reigned little more than a year. A beacon to warn drunkards, killed by the captain of half his chariots, Zimri, while "drinking himself drunk" in the house of his steward Arza in Tirzah. Josephus (Ant. 8:12, section 4) says it occurred while his army and officers were absent at the siege of Gibbethon. As Baasha conspired against his master Nadab, so Zimri against Baasha's son; Zimri in his turn was slain by Omri. Thus retributive justice pays transgressors in kind.
2. Father of Hoshea, last king of Israel (2 Kings 15:30; 2 Kings 17:1).
3. Duke of Edom (Genesis 36:41); compare Elath on the Red Sea.
4. Father of Shimei, Solomon's commissariat officer in Benjamin (1 Kings 4:18).
5. Son of Caleb (1 Chronicles 4:15).
6. Uzzi's son, a chief of Benjamin (1 Chronicles 9:8).
These files are public domain.
Fausset, Andrew R. Entry for 'Elah'. Fausset's Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/fbd/e/elah.html. 1949.
the Week of Proper 25 / Ordinary 30