Fausset's Bible Dictionary
("the giant's backbone".) A town on the eastern arm of the Red Sea. The last stage in Israel's march before the wilderness of Zin or Kadesh. The station of Solomon's navy "beside Eloth, on the shore of the Red Sea, in the land of Edom." The timber was probably brought to Ezion Geber from Tyre to build the ships (2 Chronicles 8:17-18). There Jehoshaphat's fleet was broken on the jagged rocks on each side (1 Kings 9:26; 1 Kings 22:48). Now wady Ghadyan (another form of Ezion), a valley running E. into the Arabah, some miles N. of the present head of the Elanitic gulf. A salt marsh marks where the sea anciently reached. A tidal haven was here, at the head of which the city of Ezion Geber stood. On the haven's eastern side lay Elath (now Akaba), from whence the Elanitic gulf took its name, meaning "trees"; a palm grove is still there; on the W. lay Ebronah (Numbers 33:35-36).
These files are public domain.
Fausset, Andrew R. Entry for 'Ezion Geber'. Fausset's Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/fbd/e/ezion-geber.html. 1949.