Consider helping today!
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
LYSTRA (modern Khatyn Serai ). A city situated about 18 miles S.S.W. of Iconium in the south of the Roman province Galatia and in the Lycaonian part of that province, connected with Pisidian Antioch by the direct military ‘Imperial road,’ which did not pass through Iconium (Ramsay in Studies in the History and Art of the Eastern Provinces of the Roman Empire , p. 241ff.). Both Pisidian Antioch and Lystra were ‘colonies’ (see Colony) established by the Emperor Augustus in a.d. 6 to make the Roman occupation more effective, and the official language of these was Latin. Hardly any remains of the city exist above ground. No trace of the temple of Zeus-before-the-City ( Acts 14:13 ) has been found, but it is probable that a college of priests was attached to it. The sacrifice to Barnabas and Paul as Zeus and Hermes (or rather the national Lycaonian gods corresponding to these) took place at the entrance to it. The town appears not to have been much Grecized, and the uncultivated populace expressed themselves in Lycaonian. There were Jews in Lystra ( Acts 16:1 ), but there was evidently no synagogue. Timothy was a native of Lystra, which was visited by St. Paul four times in all ( Acts 14:6; Acts 14:21; Acts 16:1; Acts 18:23 ), and addressed by him in the Epistle to the Galatians.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Hastings, James. Entry for 'Lystra'. Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/hdb/l/lystra.html. 1909.
the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34