the Week of Proper 3 / Ordinary 8
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
MACHÃ†RUS. A place E. of the Dead Sea, fortified by Alexander JannÃ¦us, and greatly enlarged and strengthened by Herod the Great (Jos. [Note: Josephus.] BJ VII. vi. 1). According to Josephus, the daughter of Aretas retired to this place when she left the higamous Antipas. He describes it as ‘in the borders of the dominions of Aretas and Herod,’ and then ‘subject to her father’ ( Ant . XVIII. v. 1). He goes on to say that here John was imprisoned and beheaded ( Matthew 14:10 ff. etc.). If it was then subject to Aretas, this is at least curious. The fortress was one of the last taken by the Romans in the war of independence ( BJ II. xviii. 6, 7. 6.). It is identified with the ruin of MukÃ¢wer , on the height about half-way between WÃ¢dy Zerka Ma‘Ã®n and WÃ¢dy el-MÃ´jib .
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Hastings, James. Entry for 'Machaerus'. Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible. https://www.studylight.org/​dictionaries/​eng/​hdb/​m/machaerus.html. 1909.