Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
TAVERNS, THREE (Latin Tres TabernÅ“ ). A name of uncertain origin, which might be translated ‘three shops’ or ‘three huts.’ It was a station on the Appian Road (built b.c. 321) which went from Rome to the S. along the west coast. This was the principal road for all travellers to or from the S. and E., except those who embarked at Ostia at the mouth of the Tiber. The village was about 33 Roman miles from Rome, and to this point many Christians walked, or drove, to meet St. Paul on his arrival in Italy from the E. ( Acts 28:15 ).
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Hastings, James. Entry for 'Taverns, Three'. Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/hdb/t/taverns-three.html. 1909.