Click here to get started today!
Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible
ZAREPHATH . The Arab. [Note: Arabic.] village of Sarafend lies on a promontory about eight miles south of Zidon. On the shore in front of it are the scattered remains of what must have been a considerable town, the Zarephath or Sarepta of the Bible. Zarephath originally belonged to Zidon ( 1 Kings 17:9 ), but passed into the possession of Tyre after the assistance rendered by the fleet of Zidon to Shalmaneser iv in b.c. 722 in his abortive attempt to capture insular Tyre. In Luke 4:26 it is again called a city of Sidon (RV [Note: Revised Version.] ‘in the land of Sidon’). Zarephath is included in the list of towns captured by Sennacherib when he invaded PhÅ“nicia in b.c. 701. It was the town in which Elijah lodged during the years of famine ( 1 Kings 17:8-24 ).
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Hastings, James. Entry for 'Zarephath'. Hastings' Dictionary of the Bible. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/hdb/z/zarephath.html. 1909.