Click here to get started today!
King James Dictionary
1. An upper garment, of whatever material it may be made. The word is, in modern times, generally applied to the garment worn by men next over the vest.
God made coats of skin and clothed them. Genesis 3 .
Jacob made Joseph a coat of many colors. Genesis 37 .
He shall put on the holy linen coat. Levit. 16.
Goliath was armed with a coat of mail. 1 Samuel 17 .
2. A petticoat a garment worn by infants or young children.
3. The habit or vesture of an order of men, indicating the order or office.
Men of his coat should be minding their prayers.
So we say, men of his cloth.
4. External covering, as the fur or hair of a beast, the skin of serpents, the wool of sheep, &c.
5. A tunic of the eye a membrane that serves as a cover a tegument.
6. The division or layer of a bulbous root as the coats of an onion.
7. A cover a layer of any substance covering another as a coat of tar, pitch or varnish a coat of canvas round a mast a coat of tin-foil.
8. That on which ensigns armorial are portrayed usually called a coat of arms. Anciently knights wore a habit over their arms, reaching as low as the navel, open at the sides, with short sleeves, on which were the armories of the knights, embroidered in gold and silver, and enameled with beaten tin of various colors. This habit was diversified with bands and fillets of several colors, placed alternately, and called devises, as being divided and composed of several pieces sewed together. The representation of these is still called a coat of arms.
9. A coat of mail is a piece of armor, in form of a shirt, consisting of a net-work of iron rings.
10. A card a coat-card is one on which a king, queen or knave is painted.
1. To cover or spread over with a layer of any substance as, to coat a retort to coat a ceiling to coat a vial.
2. To cover with cloth or canvas as, to coat a mast or a pump.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Coat'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/c/coat.html.