Click here to get started today!
King James Dictionary
1. In military affairs, the soldiers united under the command of a captain a subdivision of a regiment, consisting usually of a number from 60 to 100 men. But the number is indefinite.
2. Any assemblage of persons a collection of men, or other animals, in a very indefinite sense. It may be applied to a small number, or any multitude whatever as in scripture we read of a company of priests, a company of prophets, and an innumerable company of angels also, a company of horses.
3. An assemblage of persons for entertainment or festivity a party collected by invitation or otherwise.
4. Persons that associate with others for conversation or pleasure society as, let your children keep good company.
5. The state of being a companion the act of accompanying fellowship society.
I will keep thee company.
We cannot enjoy the company of licentious men.
6. A number of persons untied for the same purpose, or in a joint concern as a company of merchants or mechanics a company of players. The word is applicable to private partnerships or to incorporated bodies of men. Hence it may signify a firm, house or partnership or a corporation, as the East India Company, a banking or insurance company.
7. The crew of a ship, including the officers also, a fleet.
To bear company, to accompany to attend to go with denoting a temporary association.
His faithful dog shall bear him company.
To keep company, to accompany to attend also, to associate with frequently or habitually hence, to frequent public houses. Proverbs 29 .
COMPANY, To accompany to attend to go with to be companion to.
1. To associate with to frequent the company of.
I wrote you not to company with fornicators. 1 Corinthians 5 .
2. To be a gay companion.
3. To have commerce with the other sex.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Company'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/c/company.html.