King James Dictionary
CROWN, n. G., L.
1. An ornament worn on the head by kings and sovereign princes, as a badge of imperial or regal power and dignity. Figuratively, regal power royalty kingly government, or executive authority.
2. A wreath or garland.
3. Honorary distinction reward.
They do it to obtain a corruptible crown we, an incorruptible. 1 Corinthians 9 .
4. Honor splendor dignity.
The crown has fallen from our heads. Lamentations 5 . Philippians 4 .
A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband. Proverbs 12 .
5. The top of the head the top of a mountain or other elevated object. The end of an anchor, or the point from which the arms proceed.
6. The part of a hat which covers the top of the head.
7. A coin anciently stamped with the figure of a crown. The English crown is five shillings sterling. The French crown is a hundred and nine cents. Other coins bear the same name.
8. Completion accomplishment.
9. Clerical tonsure in a circular form a little circle shaved on the top of the head, as a mark of ecclesiastical office or distinction.
10. Among jewelers, the upper work of a rose diamond.
11. In botany, an appendage to the top of a seed, which serves to bear it in the wind.
1. To invest with a crown or regal ornament. Hence, to invest with regal dignity and power.
2. To cover, as with a crown to cover the top.
And peaceful olives crowned his hoary head.
3. To honor to dignify to adorn.
Thou hast crowned him with glory and honor. Psalms 8 .
4. To reward to bestow an honorary reward or distinction on as the victor crowned with laurel.
5. To reward to recompense.
Shell crown a grateful and a constant flame.
6. To terminate or finish to complete to perfect.
7. To terminate and reward as, our efforts were crowned with success.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Crown'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/c/crown.html.