Click here to learn more!
King James Dictionary
INCRE'ASE, L. incresco in and cresco, to grow.
1. To become greater in bulk or quantity to grow to augment as plants. Hence, to become more in number to advance in value, or in any quality good or bad. Animal and vegetable bodies increase by natural growth wealth increases by industry heat increases, as the sun advances towards the meridian a multitude increases by accession of numbers knowledge increases with age and study passion and enmity increase by irritation, and misery increases with vice.
The Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another. 1 Thessalonians 3
2. To become more violent as, the fever increases the pain increases cold, wind or a storm increases.
3. To become more bright or vivid as, the light increases.
4. To swell to rise.
The waters increased and bore up the ark. Genesis 7
5. To swell to become louder, as sound.
6. To become of more esteem and authority.
He must increase, but I must decrease. John 3
7. To enlarge, as the enlightened part of the moon's disk.
INCRE'ASE, To augment or make greater in bulk, quantity or amount as, to increase wealth or treasure to increase a sum or value.
1. To advance in quality to add to any quality or affection as, to increase the strength of moral habits to increase love, zeal or passion.
2. To extend to lengthen as, to increase distance.
3. To extend to spread as, to increase fame or renown.
4. To aggravate as, to increase guilt or trespass.
INCRE'ASE, n. Augmentation a growing larger extension.
Of the increase of his government and peace, there shall be no end. Isaiah 9
1. Increment profit interest that which is added to the original stock.
Take thou no interest of him or increase but fear thy God. Leviticus 25
2. Produce, as of land.
Then shall the earth yield her increase. Psalms 67
3. Progeny issue offspring.
All the increase of thy house shall die in the flower of their age. 1 Samuel 2 .
5. The waxing of the moon the augmentation of the luminous part of the moon, presented to the inhabitants of the earth.
Seeds, hair, nails, hedges and herbs will grow soonest,if set or cut in the increase of the moon.
6. Augmentation of strength or violence as increase of heat, love or other passion increase of force.
7. Augmentation of degree as increase of happiness or misery.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Increase'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/i/increase.html.
the Week of Proper 25 / Ordinary 30