the Second Week of Lent
free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
King James Dictionary
VEIN, n. L. vena, from the root of venio, to come, to pass. The sense is a passage, a conduit.
1. A vessel in animal bodies, which receives the blood from the extreme arteries, and returns it to the heart. The veins may be arranged in three divisions. 1. Those that commence from the capillaries all over the body, and return the blood to the heart. 2. The pulmonary veins. 3. The veins connected with the vena portarum, in which the blood that has circulated through the organs of digestion, is conveyed to the liver.
2. In plants, a tube or an assemblage of tubes, through which the sap is transmitted along the leaves. The term is more properly applied to the finer and more complex ramifications, which interbranch with each other like net-work the larger and more direct assemblages of vessels being called ribs and nerves. Veins are also found in the calyx and corol of flowers.
The vessels which branch or variously divide over the surface of leaves are called veins.
3. In geology, a fissure in rocks or strata, filled with a particular substance. Thus metallic veins intersect rocks or strata of other substances. Metalliferous veins have been traced in the earth for miles some in South America are said to have been traced eighty miles. Many species of stones, as granite, porphyry, &c. are often found in veins.
4. A streak or wave of different color, appearing in wood, marble, and other stones variegation.
5. A cavity or fissure in the earth or in other substance.
6. Tendency or turn of mind a particular disposition or cast of genius as a rich vein of wit or humor a satirical vein
Invoke the muses, and improve my vein.
He can open a vein of true and noble thinking.
8. Humor particular temper.
9. Strain quality as my usual vein.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Vein'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/​dictionaries/​eng/​kjd/​v/vein.html.