Click here to get started today!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. Son of David and Bathsheba. 2 Samuel 5:14; 1 Chronicles 3:5; 1 Chronicles 14:4; Luke 3:31 .
2. The prophet, who held an influential position during the reigns of David and Solomon. He is first mentioned when David had in his heart to build a house to Jehovah. Nathan at first encouraged the proposition, but afterwards had a special message from God to direct David otherwise. It was Nathan who had to condemn David's conduct with respect to Bathsheba and her husband; he delicately brought the sin home to his conscience by means of a suited parable. He also took a prominent part in securing the throne for Solomon, 2 Samuel 7:2-17; 2 Samuel 12:1-25; 1 Kings 1:8-45; 1 Chronicles 17:1-15; 2 Chronicles 29:25; Psalm 51 : title. He wrote a 'book' containing the Acts of David the king and of Solomon, which does not form a part of scripture. 1 Chronicles 29:29; 2 Chronicles 9:29 .
3. Man of Zobah, father of Igal. 2 Samuel 23:36 .
4. Father of Azariah and Zabud. 1 Kings 4:5 .
5. Son of Attai, and father of Zabad. 1 Chronicles 2:36 .
6. Brother of Joel, one of David's mighty men. 1 Chronicles 11:38 .
7. One who returned from exile. Ezra 8:16 .
8. One who had married a strange wife. Ezra 10:39 .
9. A chief man in Israel, whose family will mourn apart. Zechariah 12:12 . Perhaps a reference to the family of No. 2.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Nathan'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/mbd/n/nathan.html. 1897.