Click here to learn more!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. The governor of Ahab's house. He feared the Lord greatly, and had the boldness, in spite of Ahab and Jezebel, to hide a hundred of the prophets of Jehovah, and feed them with bread and water, when Jezebel was cutting off the prophets. When Elijah sent Obadiah to tell Ahab that he was there, he feared that the Spirit of the Lord would catch away Elijah, and he would be slain; but he obeyed, and Elijah met the king . Obadiah is a remarkable instance of how a servant who feared the Lord could maintain his integrity amid flagrant wickedness, though otherwise he seems out of his right place, for he was not separate like Elijah. His false position may account for his dwelling upon his own work for the Lord, and his fear for his life before Ahab. 1 Kings 18:3-16 .
2. Descendant of David. 1 Chronicles 3:21 .
3. Son of Izrahiah, a descendant of Issachar. 1 Chronicles 7:3 .
4. Son of Azel, a Benjamite. 1 Chronicles 8:38; 1 Chronicles 9:44 .
5. Son of Shemaiah, a Levite. 1 Chronicles 9:16 . Apparently called ABDA in Nehemiah 11:17 .
6. Gadite who resorted to David at Ziklag, 1 Chronicles 12:9 .
7. A Zebulunite, father of Ishmaiah. 1 Chronicles 27:19 .
8. Prince sent by Jehoshaphat to teach the people. 2 Chronicles 17:7 .
9. Levite who was overseer in the repairs of the temple. 2 Chronicles 34:12 .
10. Son of Jehiel: he returned from exile. Ezra 8:9 .
11. Priest who sealed the covenant. Nehemiah 10:5 .
12. Levite who acted as doorkeeper. Nehemiah 12:25 .
13. The prophet, of whom personally nothing is known. Obadiah 1:1 .
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Obadiah'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/mbd/o/obadiah.html. 1897.