Consider helping today!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. David's scribe or secretary. 2 Samuel 8:17 . See SHAVSHA.
2. Son of Azariah, and high priest in the reign of Zedekiah. When Jerusalem was taken by Nebuchadnezzar he was carried to Riblah, and there put to death. 2 Kings 25:18; 1 Chronicles 6:14; Jeremiah 52:24 .
3. Son of Tanhumeth: a captain in the time of Gedaliah. 2 Kings 25:23; Jeremiah 40:8 .
4. Son of Kenaz and brother of Othniel. 1 Chronicles 4:13,14 .
5. Son of Asiel, of the tribe of Simeon. 1 Chronicles 4:35 .
6. A chief man who returned from exile. Ezra 2:2 . Supposed, as in the margin, to be called AZARIAHin Nehemiah 7:7 .
7. Father of Ezra the scribe. Ezra 7:1 .
8. Priest who sealed the covenant. Nehemiah 10:2 .
9. Son of Hilkiah: 'ruler of the house of God.' Nehemiah 11:11 .
10. Priest who returned from exile. Nehemiah 12:1,12 .
11. Son of Azriel: he was ordered by Jehoiakim to seize Baruch and Jeremiah. Jeremiah 36:26 .
12. Son of Neriah: to him was committed by Jeremiah a roll 'written against Babylon,' to be read at Babylon, and then with a stone tied to it, he was to cast it into the Euphrates; and to declare, "Thus shall Babylon sink." Jeremiah 51:59-64 . In verse 59, instead of 'a quiet prince,' it is better translated 'chief chamberlain,' as in the margin.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Seraiah'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/mbd/s/seraiah.html. 1897.