Click here to get started today!
Morrish Bible Dictionary
1. The name given by Nebuchadnezzar to Mattaniah, son of Josiah, whom he set on the throne of Judah. Zedekiah reigned eleven years, B.C. 599-588, and was the last king of Judah. His reign was evil; he did not humble himself before the prophet Jeremiah, and profaned the name of Jehovah by breaking his oath to the king of Babylon. The chief priests and the people also transgressed greatly. On Zedekiah revolting from Nebuchadnezzar, he formed an alliance with Egypt (cf. Ezekiel 17:3-20 ); but Egypt was defeated, and then Nebuchadnezzar pushed on the siege of Jerusalem.
Zedekiah was many times warned by Jeremiah against his course, and was advised to submit to Babylon; but for this Jeremiah was persecuted by the princes of Judah. When the city was taken, Zedekiah, with his wives and children, attempted to escape, but he was captured. Two prophecies respecting him are remarkable: one that he shall speak with the king of Babylon, and "his eyes shall behold his eyes," Jeremiah 32:4; and the other that "he shall be brought to Babylon, yet shall he not see it, though he shall die there." Ezekiel 12:13 . And thus it came to pass: on being carried before Nebuchadnezzar at Riblah, his sons were slain before his face, then his eyes were put out, and he was carried to Babylon. 2 Kings 24:17,20; 2 Kings 25:2,7; 1 Chronicles 3:15; 2 Chronicles 36:10,11; Jeremiah 1:3; Jeremiah 21:1-7; Jeremiah 24:8; Jeremiah 27:3,12; Jeremiah 28:1; Jeremiah 29:3; Jeremiah 32:1-5; Jeremiah 34:2-21; Jeremiah 37 Jeremiah 39; Jeremiah 44:30; Jeremiah 49:34; Jeremiah 51:59; Jeremiah 52:1-11 .
2. Son of Chenaanah: he was a false prophet, and an adviser of Ahab. He arrogantly smote Micaiah in the face and asked, "Which way went the Spirit of Jehovah from me to speak unto thee?" Micaiah told him his question would be answered when he went into an inner chamber to hide himself. 1 Kings 22:11,24; 2 Chronicles 18:10,23 .
3. Son of Jeconiah, or Jehoiachin, king of Judah. 1 Chronicles 3:16 .
4. Son of Maaseiah: he was a false prophet in Babylon among the captives: with Ahab he was burnt to death. Jeremiah 29:21,22 .
5. Son of Hananiah and a prince of Judah. Jeremiah 36:12 .
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Morrish, George. Entry for 'Zedekiah'. Morrish Bible Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/mbd/z/zedekiah.html. 1897.