Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
1910 New Catholic Dictionary
Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Feasts O
- Friday in Passion Week, commemorating the sorrow of Mary during the Passion , and Death of Christ; instituted by the provincial synod of Cologne in 1413 to expiate the crimes of the iconoclast Hussites, being termed the Compassion or Transfixion; extended to the entire Church by Pope Benedict XIII in 1727. The Stabat Mater is sung during Mass and Office.
- September 15, in devotion to the seven dolors of Mary:
- the prophecy of Simeon
- flight into Egypt
- loss of the Child Jesus at Jerusalem
- meeting Jesus on the road to Calvary
- standing at the foot of the Cross
- the descent of Jesus from the Cross
- His burial
It was first granted to the Servites in 1668, and extended to the whole Church by Pope Pius VII in 1814.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Entry for 'Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Feasts O'. 1910 New Catholic Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/ncd/s/seven-sorrows-of-the-blessed-virgin-mary-feasts-o.html. 1910.
the Week of Proper 22 / Ordinary 27