For 10¢ a day you can enjoy StudyLight.org ads
free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.Click here to learn more!
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
hal´hul ( חלחוּל , ḥalḥūl ): A city in the hill country of Judah ( Joshua 15:58 ), "Halhul, Beth-zur and Gedor." It is without doubt the modern Ḥalḥūl , a village on a hill, surrounded by fine fields and vineyards, some 4 miles North of Hebron and less than a mile to the East of the modern carriage road. It is conspicuous from a considerable distance on account of its ancient mosque, Wely Nebi Yûnas , the "shrine of the Prophet Jonah" - a tradition going back at least to the 14th century. The mosque, which has a minaret or tower, is built upon a rock platform artificially leveled. In the 14th century it was stated by Isaac Chilo (a Jewish pilgrim) that the tomb of Gad the Seer (1 Samuel 22:5; 2 Samuel 24:11 f) was situated in this town. Beth-zur ( Beit Sûr ) and Gedor (Jedûr ) are both near. In Josephus (BJ , IV, ix, 6) we read of an Alurus (where the Idumeans assembled), and in Jerome (OS 119 7) of a village Alula near Hebron, which both probably refer to the same place (PEF , III, 305; Sh XXI ).
These files are public domain and were generously provided by the folks at WordSearch Software.
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. Entry for 'Halhul'. International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/isb/h/halhul.html. 1915.