the Second Week of Advent
Click here to learn more!
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) Father of Mattathias, grandfather of Judas Maccabeus and his brothers (1 Maccabees 2:1 ).
(2) Eldest son of Mattathias, surnamed GADDIS (which see).
(3) Father of Eupolemus, one of the envoys sent to Rome by Judas Maccabeus (1 Maccabees 8:17; 2 Maccabees 4:11 ).
(4) John Hyrcanus, "a valiant man," son of Simon, and nephew of Judas Maccabeus (1 Maccabees 13:53; 16:1 ). See ASMONEANS;
(5) One of the envoys sent to treat with Lysias (2 Maccabees 11:17 ).
These files are public domain and were generously provided by the folks at WordSearch Software.
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. Entry for 'John (1)'. International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/​encyclopedias/​eng/​isb/​j/john-1.html. 1915.