Tired of see ads while studying? Now you can enjoy an "Ads Free" version of the site for as little as 10¢ a day.
Click here to get started today!
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
( סכּות , ṣukkōth ; Σοκχώθ , Sokchṓth ( Exodus 12:37; Exodus 13:20; Numbers 33:5 )): The first station of the Hebrews on leaving Rameses (see EXODUS ). The word means "booths." The distance from ETHAM (which see) suggests that the site may have lain in the lower part of Wâdy Tumeilât , but the exact position is unknown. This region seems possibly to have been called T -K -u by the Egyptians (see PITHOM ). Brugsch and other scholars suppose this term to have been changed to Succoth by the Old Testament writer, but this is very doubtful, Succoth being a common Hebrew word, while T -K -u is Egyptian The Hebrew "c" does not appear ever to be rendered by "t" in Egyptian. The capital of the Sethroitic nome was called T -K -t (Pierret, Vocab. hieroglyph ., 697), and this word means "bread." If the region of T -K -u was near this town, it would seem to have lain on the shore road from Edom to Zoan, in which case it could not be the Succoth of the Exodus.
These files are public domain and were generously provided by the folks at WordSearch Software.
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. Entry for 'Succoth (2)'. International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/isb/s/succoth-2.html. 1915.