Consider helping today!
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
(1) King of Israel, son of Jeroboam 2 (the King James Version "Zachariah"). See the next article.
(2) The grandfather of King Hezekiah, through Hezekiah's mother Abi (2 Kings 18:2 , the King James Version "Zachariah" parallel 2 Chronicles 29:1 ).
(3) A contemporary of Isaiah, taken by Isaiah as a trustworthy witness in the matter of the sign Maher-shalal-hash-baz (Isaiah 8:1 ). As his father's name was Jeberechiah, some support seems to be offered to theories of those who would make him the author of certain portions of Zechariah. See
(7) The third son of Jehoshaphat (2 Chronicles 21:2 ). He was slain by Jehoram (2 Chronicles 21:4 ).
(8) A "prince" who Jehoshaphat sent to "teach" in the cities of Judah (2 Chronicles 17:7 ). As this "teaching" was in connection with the establishing of the Law, Zechariah was primarily a judge.
(9) A prophet who was influential in the early days of Uzziah (2 Chronicles 26:5 ). He is characterized as
The following eight are all Levites:
(10) A doorkeeper at the time of David, who was made a singer "of the second degree" (1 Chronicles 15:18; the text is confused). He was a player on a "psaltery" (1 Chronicles 15:20 ) and took part in the thanksgiving when the Ark was brought to Jerusalem (1 Chronicles 16:5 ).
(11) A son of Isshiah (1 Chronicles 24:25 ).
(12) A son of Meshelemiah, a "porter of the door of the tent of meeting" at the time of David (1 Chronicles 9:21; 1 Chronicles 26:2 , 1 Chronicles 26:14 ). In 1 Chronicles 26:14 called "a discreet counselor."
(13) A son of Hosah, a Merarite, also at David's time (1 Chronicles 26:11 ).
(14) The father of the prophet, JAHAZIEL (which see) (2 Chronicles 20:14 ).
(15) A son of Asaph, who assisted in the purification of the Temple at the time of Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 29:13 ).
(17) A son of Jonathan, an Asaphite, one of the musicians at the dedication of the wall at the time of Nehemiah (Nehemiah 12:35 ).
The following are all priests:
(18) A trumpeter at the time of David (1 Chronicles 15:24 ).
(19) A son of Jehoiada, at the time of Joash. He rebuked the people publicly for their apostasy, and was stoned by them, Joash consenting to their act (2 Chronicles 24:20-22 ). As 2 Chronicles is the last book in the Hebrew Old Testament, Zechariah was regarded as the last of the Old Testament martyrs, and hence, is coupled with Abel (the first martyr) in Matthew 23:35 parallel Luke 11:51 . The words "son of Barachiah" in Matthew are due to confusing this Zechariah with the prophet. See ZACHARIAH .
(20) One of the "rulers of the house of God" at the time of Josiah (2 Chronicles 35:8 ).
(21) A son of Pashhur, 242 of whose descendants as "chiefs of fathers' houses" dwelt in Jerusalem at the time of Nehemiah (Nehemiah 11:13 ).
(22) A trumpeter at the dedication of the wall at the time of Nehemiah (Nehemiah 12:41 ).
(23) The prophet (Ezra 5:1; Ezra 6:14; Nehemiah 12:16; Zechariah 1:1 , Zechariah 1:7; Zechariah 7:1 , Zechariah 7:8; 1 Esdras 6:1; 7:3). See
The following are all returned exiles or are mentioned only as ancestors of such:
(24) A son of Parosh (Ezra 8:3; 1 Esdras 8:30 has "Zacharias" here and elsewhere).
(25) A son of Bebai (Ezra 8:11; 1 Esdras 8:37)
(26) One of the "chief men" dispatched by Ezra to bring priests from Casiphia (Ezra 8:16; 1 Esdras 8:44). Doubtless the same as (24) or (25), above.
(27) One of the persons who stood by Ezra at the reading of the Law (Nehemiah 8:4; 1 Esdras 9:44); almost certainly identical with (26).
(28) A son of Elam, who had taken a foreign wife (Ezra 10:26; 1 Esdras 9:27).
(29) A son of Amariah, a Judahite, the ancestor of certain persons dwelling in Jerusalem (Nehemiah 11:4 ).
(30) A son of "the Shilonite," the ancestor of certain persons dwelling in Jerusalem (Nehemiah 11:5 ).
These files are public domain and were generously provided by the folks at WordSearch Software.
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. Entry for 'Zechariah (1)'. International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/isb/z/zechariah-1.html. 1915.