free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
The Catholic Encyclopedia
Vicariate apostolic in German East Africa, separated by a pontifical Decree of 11 May, 1906, from the Vicariate Apostolic of Northern Zanzibar. The Catholics number 14,728 (in all German East Africa there are about 6,700,000 natives, most of whom belong to mixed tribes of the Bantu race). The mission is cared for by the Congregation of the Holy Ghost and the Immaculate Heart of Mary (52) and by the Trappists (8), aided by two congregations of women: Filles de Marie (7), and Sisters of the Precious Blood, formerly Trappistines (28). The first vicar Apostolic, Rt. Rev. Franz Xaver Vogt, of the Congregation of the Holy Ghost, was elected 25 July, 1906. There are 15 churches and chapels, 15 stations with medical service, 15 orphanages, 6 industrial, or trade, and agricultural, schools, 71 schools with 7,574 native pupils, 2 leper stations, and 2 hospitals. The vicar Apostolic resides at Bagamoyo, a small seaport town near the mouth of Kingani, opposite the Island of Zanzibar, and the centre of the telegraph and cable systems of the colony. (See AFRICA.)
Missiones Catholicæ (Propaganda, Rome, 1907). 427; Statesmen's Year-Book (London, 1907). 1021-22, 225-226; Heilprin's Gazzetteer (Philadelphia. 1906). 146, 711, 2047.
These files are public domain.
Obstat, Nihil. Lafort, Remy, Censor. Entry for 'Bagamoyo'. The Catholic Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tce/b/bagamoyo.html. Robert Appleton Company. New York. 1914.