Click to donate today!
The 1901 Jewish Encyclopedia
Seaport and largest city in Scotland, with a population in 1901 of 760,329, of whom about 6,500 were Jews. The Jewish community of Glasgow dates from about 1830. After 1850 a site was acquired at the corner of George and John streets, and a synagogue was erected and consecrated in 1858. In 1878 the congregation removed to the present building in Garnethill, a handsome edifice erected at a cost of £14,000, and consecrated by Dr. Hermann Adler in September of that year.
Until 1881, when an additional place of worship was established in Commerce street, there was only one congregation in Glasgow. The Commerce street congregation soon sought more commodious quarters in Main street. In 1883 the two congregations coalesced in the Glasgow United Synagogue. In the course of a few years, the Main street synagogue having been outgrown, a new house of worship was erected at a cost of £9,000 in South Portland street, and consecrated September, 1901. Meanwhile an additional synagogue had been erected for the southside in Oxford street (1899). This congregation also became a constituent of the United Synagogue, which thus comprises three congregations.
The community has now one common cemetery. The principal charities of the community are the Jewish board of guardians, the Hebrew Benevolent Loan Society, and the Hebrew Ladies' Benevolent Loan Society. The board of guardians relieves about 400 cases a year, and the Hebrew Benevolent Loan Society grants 200 loans. Glasgow also has its Jewish schools and literary and social societies.
Two of the most prominent members of the community are Michael Simons and Isidor Morris, justices of the peace for Glasgow.
- James Brown, An Account of the Jews in the City of Glasgow, London, 1858;
- The Jewish Year Book, London, 5663.
These files are public domain.
Singer, Isidore, Ph.D, Projector and Managing Editor. Entry for 'Glasgow'. 1901 The Jewish Encyclopedia. https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/eng/tje/g/glasgow.html. 1901.
the Fourth Week after Epiphany