the Second Week of Advent
Click here to learn more!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary Greek Lexicon
Strong's #1845 - ἐξορκιστής
- he who extracts an oath of one
- an exorcist
- one who employs a formula of conjuration for expelling demons
ἐξορκ-ιστής, οῦ, ὁ,
exorcist, Acts 19:3, Luc. Epigr. 23, Ptol. Tetr. 182.
ἐξορκιστής, ἐξορκιστου, ὁ (ἐξορκίζω);
1. he who exacts an oath of another.
2. an exorcist, i. e. one who employs a formula of conjuration for expelling demons: Acts 19:13. (Josephus, Antiquities 8, 2, 5; Lucian, epigr. in Anthol. 11,427; often in the church Fathers.)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights rserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
*† ἐξ -ορκιστής , -οῦ , ὁ
(< ἐξορκίζω ),
1. one who administers an oath.
2. an exorcist: Acts 19:13.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.