Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #198 - ἀκριβόω
- to know accurately, to do exactly
- to investigate diligently
ἀκρῑβ-όω, fut. -ώσω,
1. make exact or accurate, E. Hipp. 469; ἀ. τάδε to be perfect in bearing these hardships, X. Cyr. 2.3.13; arrange precisely, Ar. Ec. 274: — Pass., to be exact or perfect, Ar. Ra. 1483; ἠκριβῶσθαι πρὸς πᾶσαν ἀρετήν Arist. Pol. 1279b1. — Later in Med., J. AJ 17.2.2, Eust. 1799.33, etc.
2. investigate accurately, understand thoroughly, οἱ τάδ' ἠκριβωκότες E. Hec. 1192, cf. X. Cyr. 2.2.9; τοὔνομά μου σὺ ἀκριβοῖς; are you sure of..? Pl. Chrm. 156a; inquire carefully of, τὸν χρόνον Matthew 2:7 : — Pass., Vett.Val. 265.3.
3. describe accurately, τι Phld. Lib. p.47 O.
4. abs., to be exact, ἡ φύσις οὐκ ἀκριβοῖ Arist. GA 778a6; [ ὁ ἄνθρωπος] κατὰ τὴν ἁφὴν διαφερόντως ἀκριβοῖ Id. de An. 421a22; ἀ. περί τι GA 780b26.
** ἀκριβόω , -ῶ
(< ἀκριβής ),
[in Aq.: Isaiah 30:8; Isaiah 49:16*;]
to enquire with exactness, learn carefully: Matthew 2:7; Matthew 2:16 (for similar ex., v. MM, VGT, sv.).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
This fairly common classical and Hellenistic verb does not happen to occur in the papyri, so far as we have noticed We might add to the literary record Vettius Valens p. 265.3 τούτων οὕτως κατ᾽ ἐξέτασιν ἠκριβωμένων, which has exactly the same sense as in Matthew 2:16.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Week of Proper 22 / Ordinary 27