Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2183 - ἐφημερία
- a service limited to a stated series of days
- the class or course itself of priests who for a week at a time performed the duties of the priestly office. David divided the priests into twenty four classes, each of which in its turn discharged the duties of the office for an entire week, from sabbath to sabbath
1. division of the priests for the daily service of the temple, LXX 1 Chronicles 23:6, Ne. 23.30, Luke 1:5.
2. the service itself, LXX 1 Esdras 1:16.
† ἐφ -ημερία , -ας , ἡ
(< ἐφήμερος ),
1. a course of daily services (Nehemiah 13:30, 1 Chronicles 25:8, al.).
2. a class or course of priests detailed for service in the temple (1 Chronicles 23:6, al.): Luke 1:5; Luke 1:8 (cf. MGr., ἐφημέριος , priest).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
the Seventh Week after Easter