Click here to join the effort!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2491 - Ἰωάννης
John = "Jehovah is a gracious giver"
- John the Baptist was the son of Zacharias and Elisabeth, the forerunner of Christ. By order of Herod Antipas he was cast into prison and afterwards beheaded.
- John the apostle, the writer of the Fourth Gospel, son of Zebedee and Salome, brother of James the elder. He is that disciple who (without mention by name) is spoken of in the Fourth Gospel as especially dear to Jesus and according to the traditional opinion is the author of the book of Revelation.
- John surnamed Mark, the companion of Barnabas and Paul. Acts 12:
- John a certain man, a member of the Sanhedrin Acts 5:6
(Rec. -ννης , q.v.; cf. Dalman, Gr., 142; Tdf., Pr., 79; WH, App., 159; Bl., § 3, 10; 10, 2), -ου , dat., -ῃ (but in Matthew 11:4, Luke 7:18; Luke 7:22 Revelation 1:1, -ει ), acc, -ην , ὁ
(Heb. H3110, LXX: Ἰωανάν , 2 Chronicles 23:1, al.; -ννάν , Jeremiah 40:8, al., Aq.), Hellenized form of 'Ἰωανάν , John (1 Esdras 8:38 (41) *), viz.,
1. John the Baptist: Matthew 3:1, al.
2. John the Apostle, son of Zebedee: Matthew 4:21, Mark 1:19, Luke 5:10, Acts 1:13, al.
3. The father of St. Peter: John 1:43; John 21:15-17.
4. John surnamed Mark: Acts 12:12; Acts 12:25; Acts 13:5; Acts 13:13; Acts 15:37.
5. The writer of the Apocalypse, traditionally identified with 2: Revelation 1:1; Revelation 1:4; Revelation 1:9
(D, Ἰωνάθας ; v. MM, Exp., xv; B1., § 10, 2), ὁ ,
John: Acts 4:6; Acts 13:5, Tr., WH, Revelation 22:8 (cf. 'Ιωάνης ).†
Ἰωνάθας , see Ἰώαννης .
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
On the uncertainty in the spelling of this Semitic proper name, see Moulton Gr. ii. p. 102, Winer-Schmiedel Gr. p. 57, Blass Philology, pp. 75 f., 81.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Week of Proper 24 / Ordinary 29