free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #2501 - Ἰωσήφ
Joseph = "let him add"
- the patriarch, the eleventh son of Jacob
- the son of Jonan or Jonam, one of the ancestors of Christ, Lk 3:
- the son of Judah [or Judas; better Joda] another ancestor of Jesus, Lk 3:
- the son of Mattathias, another ancestor of Christ, Lk 3:
- the husband of Mary, the mother of Jesus
- a half-brother of Jesus Mat. 13:
- Joseph of Arimathaea, a member of the Sanhedrin, who favoured Jesus. Mt. 27:57,59; Mk 15:43,
- Joseph surnamed Barnabas Acts 4:
- Joseph call Barsabas and surnamed Justus, Acts 1:23
(FlJ, Ἰώσηπος , -ου ), ὁ
1. the Son of Jacob: John 4:5, Acts 7:9; Acts 7:13-14; Acts 7:18, Hebrews 11:21-22, Revelation 7:8.
2. In the genealogy of our Lord,
(a) the son of Matthias: Luke 3:24;
(b) the son Joram: Luke 3:30.
3. The husband of Mary, the Lord's mother Matthew 1:16 ff, Luke 1:27, John 1:46, al.
4. One of the brethren of our Lord (see ἀδελφός ): Matthew 13:55.
5. Son of Mary: Matthew 27:56 (-σῆς , WH, mg., RV).
6. Joseph of Arimatbæa: Matthew 27:57; Matthew 27:59, Mark 15:43; Mark 15:45, Luke 23:50, John 19:38.
7. see Βαρνάβας .
8. see Βαρσαβᾶς .
Josech: Lk 326.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
For the form Ἰώσηπος see BGU IV. 1068 (A.D. 101), where a certain Σωτέλης Ἰωσήπου makes official notification of the death of his son, who bore his grandfather’s name—.6 ff. ὁ υἱός μου Ἰ [ώσ ]ηπος μητρὸς Σάρρας ἀφῆλιξ μήπω καταλήξας εἰς λαογραφίαν ἐτελεύτησε τῷ Τῦβι μηνὶ τοῦ ἐνεστῶτος τετάρτου ἔτους Τραιανοῦ Καίσαρος τ [ο ]ῦ κυρίου.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Second Week of Advent