free while helping to build churches and support pastors in Uganda.
Click here to learn more!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #5500 - χειροτονέω
- to vote by stretching out the hand
- to create or appoint by vote: one to have charge of some office or duty
- to elect, create, appoint
stretch out the hand, for the purpose of giving one's vote in the assembly, περὶ τῶν ἀνδρῶν Plu. Phoc. 34; μὴ χ. vote against the motion, Luc. Deor.Conc. 9: — but mostly,
II c. acc. pers., elect, prop. by show of hands, Ar. Ach. 598, Av. 1571, etc.; εἰς τὴν ἀγορὰν χ. τοὺς ταξιάρχους.., οὐκ ἐπὶ τὸν πόλεμον D. 4.26; c. dupl. acc., στρατηγὸν χ. τινά X. HG 6.2.11, cf. Isoc. 8.50: — Pass., to be elected, Ar. Ach. 607; ἐπὶ τοῦτ' ἐχειροτονήθησαν, ἵνα.. Lys. 28.14; χ. ἔκ τινων Pl. Lg. 763e; χ. ἐπὶ τῆς διοικήσεως Decr. ap. D. 18.115: c. acc. cogn., χ. τὴν ἀρχὴν τὴν ἐπὶ τῷ θεωρικῷ Aeschin. 3.24, cf. Ar. Ec. 517 (anap.); χειροτονηθεὶς ἢ λαχών Pl. Plt. 300a, cf. Aeschin. 1.106. later, generally, appoint, Ph. 2.112; of the Jewish High Priest, J. AJ 13.2.2; τὸν ὑπὸ τοῦ θεοῦ κεχειροτονημένον βασιλέα ib. 6.13.9, cf. 7.9.3; appoint to an office in the Church, πρεσβυτέρους Acts 14:23; Acts cf.2 Cor. 8.19 (Pass.).
2. c. acc. rei, vote for a thing, Ar. Ec. 297 (lyr.), 797, lsoc. 7.84; γνώμας D. 18.248: c. inf., ὁ δῆμος ἐχειροτόνησεν ἐξεῖναι.. πέμπειν voted to send, Aeschin. 2.13, cf. IG 12.57.29, 63.4: — Pass., κεχειροτόνηται ὕβρις τὸ πρᾶγυ' εἶναι it is voted, ruled to be.., D. 21.216.
III span with the hand, τὸ αἰδοῖον Artem. 1.78 (ap. Suid.; χειροκοπεῖν codd.).
* χειρο -τονέω , -ῶ
(<χείρ , τείνω ),
1. to vote by stretching out the hand in the Athenian ἐκκλησία (Luc., Plut.).
2. to appoint:
(a) by vote, 2 Corinthians 8:19;
(b) without vote, Acts 14:23 (v. Rackham, in l) (cf. προχειροτονέω ).†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
the Second Week after Epiphany