Click to donate today!
Old & New Testament Greek Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #900 - βαθύνω
- 'the deep' sea (the 'high seas')
- deep, extreme poverty, the deep things of God, things hidden and above man's scrutiny, especially divine counsels
- to make deep
Pass., plpf. βεβάθυστο Nonn. D. 39.305: (βαθύς): —
1. deepen, hollow out, βάθυνε δὲ χῶρον ἅπαντα, of a torrent, Il. 23.421; ἔσκαψε καὶ ἐβάθυνε dug and dug deep, Luke 6:48; ἐβάθυνε πέδον ταρσῷ, of a dog, Nonn. D. 47.239: metaph., ὁ λιμὸς βαθύνει ἑαυτόν J. BJ 5.12.3: esp. as military term, deepen, τὴν φάλαγγα X. Cyr. 6.3.23, 8.5.15, cf. Arr. Tact. 25.11: — Pass., become deep, be deepened, λίμνη β. Thphr. HP 4.11.3; κρημνὸς βαθύνεται εἰς ἀπορρῶγα J. BJ 1.21.3; νάσως βαθυνομένας ἀπὸ ῥιζᾶν, of Delos, Hymn.Isa 160; τὸ βαθυνόμενον τῆς ῥηγμῖνος Agath. 2.2; of a deep wound, Nonn. D. 39.305; βαθυνομέναις χερσί in or with the hollowed hands, ib. 11.180.
2. Math., add a third dimension, β. τὰ ἐπίπεδα Procl. in R. 2.52 K., cf. in Ti. 1.146 D.: — Pass., κυκλικῶς βαθυνθέντες Simp. in Ph. 59.17.
1. sink deep, Ph. 1.248, 2.402; sink, crumble, Apollod. Poliorc. 157.8.
2. metaph., go deeply into a subject, βαθύνας θεωρῆσαι Procl. in Prm. p.622 S.
(< βαθύς ),
[in LXX for H6009: Psalms 92:5 Jeremiah 49:8; Jeremiah 49:30 *;]
to deepen: Luke 6:48.†
Copyright © 1922 by G. Abbott-Smith, D.D., D.C.L.. T & T Clarke, London.
For this verb = ";go deep,"; as in Luke 6:48, we can only point to Philo I. 248, 15 (cited in Sophocles Lex. s.v.); see Radermacher Gr. p. 19, for other solitary instances of transitive verbs used intransitively.
Copyright © 1914, 1929, 1930 by James Hope Moulton and George Milligan. Hodder and Stoughton, London.
Derivative Copyright © 2015 by Allan Loder.
the Week of Proper 15 / Ordinary 20