Click here to get started today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #1115 - בִּלְתִּי
1) not, except (substantive)
2) not (adverb)
3) except (after preceding negation) (adverb)
4) except (after an implied or expressed negation) (conjunction)
5) so as not, in order not (with preposition)
6) an account of not, because...not (with preposition)
7) until not (with preposition)
Jeff Brenner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
(1) adv. of negation i.q. לֹא 1 Samuel 20:26.
(2) Prep. for בְּבִלְתִּי (בְּלֹא) without, Isaiah 14:6 besides, except (when a negation has preceded), Genesis 21:26; Exodus 22:19; Numbers 11:6, 32:12 with suff. בִּלְתִּי “besides me,” Hosea 13:4; Isaiah 10:4 בִּלְתֶּךָ “beside thee,” 1 Samuel 2:2; Isaiah 1:1. translate “without me (i.e. forsaken of me) they shall go bowed down amongst the bound, and shall perish amongst the slain,” compare under תַּחַת. [“i.e. part of them as captives, exhausted with hunger, thirst, and toil, shall sink down under the feet of their fellows, (comp. בֵּין רַגְלֶיהָ Judges 5:27 ) and part of them slain in battle, shall be covered with the corpses of others.”]
(3) Conj. for בִּלְתִּי אֲשֶׁר besides that, Daniel 11:18 unless that, Genesis 43:3, “ye shall not see my face בִּלְתִּי אֲתִיכֶם אִתְּכֶם unless that your brother be with you.” Fully בִּלְתִּי אִם “unless that,” Amos 3:4, and simply unless, Judges 7:14; Genesis 47:18.
Comp. with prep.
(a) לְבִלְתִּי followed by an inf., pr. in that not, Judges 8:1. This particle is used in Hebrew wherever the gerund (לִקְטֹל) is to be expressed negatively (לְבִלְתִּי קְטֹל). It may be rendered in Latin, ita ut non (quominus), so as not, Exodus 8:25, 9:17 ex. gr. after verbs of resisting, Jeremiah 16:12 of forgetting, Deuteronomy 8:11 hindering, Numbers 9:7 ne, lest, Genesis 38:9 and acc. and inf. after verbs of commanding, Genesis 3:11 of consenting, 2 Kings 12:9. Once used pleonastically לְבִלְתִּי לְ 2 Kings 23:10, and thrice לְבִלְתִּי followed by a finite verb for לְבִלְתִּי אֲשֶׁר Jeremiah 23:14, 27:18 Ezekiel 13:3.
(b) םִבִּלְתִּי because not, followed by an inf., Numbers 14:16 by a verbal noun, Ezekiel 16:28.
(c) עַר בִּלְתִּי until not, followed by a pret., Numbers 21:35; Deuteronomy 3:3; Joshua 8:22, 10:33 also so long as, Job 14:12 compare עַד בְּלִי.
the Week of Proper 6 / Ordinary 11