the Week of Proper 20 / Ordinary 25
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #2898 - טוּב
1) goods, good things, goodness
1a) good things
1b) goods, property
1c) fairness, beauty, joy, prosperity, goodness (abstract)
1d) goodness (of taste, discernment)
1e) goodness (of God) (abstract)
1186) bu (תהב ThB) AC: ? CO: ? AB: Good: The pictograph u is a picture of a basket, used to contain or surround something. The b is a picture of a tent or house. Combined these mean "surround the house". The house is surrounded by grace, beauty, love, health and prosperity, something that is functional.
Nf) bfu (תהוב ThWB) - Good: Something that functions properly. KJV (591): good, better, well, goodness, goodly, best, merry, fair, prosperity, precious, fine, wealth, beautiful, fairer, favour, glad - Strongs: H2896 (טוֹב), H2898 (טוּב)
V) bui (יתהב YThB) - Good: To be good such as in being functional. [Hebrew and Aramaic] KJV (108): (vf: Paal, Hiphil) well, good, please, merry, amend, better, accepted, diligently - Strongs: H3190 (יָטַב), H3191 (יְטַב)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
1 good things, collective, produce of the land to be eaten Genesis 45:18,20,23 (E), Isaiah 1:19; Jeremiah 2:7; Ezra 9:12; Nehemiah 9:35,36, to be enjoyed; good things of ׳י as given by him Hosea 3:5; Jeremiah 31:12,14; Psalm 27:13; of house of ׳י Psalm 65:5, figurative of spiritual blessings.
2 goods, property Genesis 24:10 (J), Deuteronomy 6:11; 2 Kings 8:9; Nehemiah 9:25. 3 abstract:
a. fairness, beauty, of neck of heifer Hosea 10:11; of people of ׳י Zechariah 9:17; of ׳י himself Exodus 33:19 (JE).
b.טוּב לב(בׅ joy of heart Deuteronomy 28:47; Isaiah 65:14 (see I. טוֺב
2, II. ׳ט 7).
c. prosperity Job 20:21; Job 21:16; of Jerusalem Psalm 128:5; בְּטוּב צַדִּיקִים Proverbs 11:10 in the prosperity of the righteous the city rejoiceth.
d. goodness of taste, discernment Psalm 119:66.
4 abstract, goodness of God:
a. in bestowing good things Nehemiah 9:25.
b. in the salvation of his people Isaiah 63:7; Psalm 25:7; Psalm 145:7.
c. stored up for his saints Psalm Psalm 31:20.
(1) goodness. Psalms 119:66, טוּב טַעַם “goodness of intelligence,” good understanding; the goodness, i.e. the kindness of God, Psalms 25:7, 27:13 31:20 145:7 Jeremiah 31:14.
(2) concr. that which is good, or best of any thing, i.e. the best part, Genesis 45:18, 20 Genesis 45:20. טוּב הָאָרֶץ the best gifts of the land, Genesis 45:23; Isaiah 1:19; Ezra 9:12.
(3) goods, i.e. wealth, property, Deuteronomy 6:11 precious things, Genesis 24:10 comp. verses 22 Genesis 24:22, 30 Genesis 24:30.
(4) beauty. Hosea 10:11; Zechariah 9:17. Used of the divine glory, Exodus 33:19, אֲנִי אַעֲבִיד כָּל־טוּבִי. [But is this the sense of the passage? See No. 1.]
(5) welfare, happiness, Job 20:21, 21:16 Proverbs 11:10.
(6) with the addition of לֵב gladness, cheerfulness. Deuteronomy 28:47; Isaiah 65:14.
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.