the Week of Proper 3 / Ordinary 8
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary Hebrew Lexicon
Strong's #3584 - כָּחַשׁ
1) to deceive, lie, fail, grow lean, be disappointing, be untrue, be insufficient, be found liars, belie, deny, dissemble, deal falsely
1a) (Qal) to become lean
1b) (Niphal) to cringe, feign obedience
1c1) to deceive, deny falsely
1c2) to act deceptively
1c3) to cringe
1c4) to disappoint, fail
1d) (Hithpael) to cringe, feign obedience
2257) shk (כההסה KHhSh) AC: Deny CO: ? AB: ?: A withholding or denial of something such as food resulting in leanness and truth through a lie.
V) shk (כההסה KHhSh) - Deny: To withhold something from another or self as in a lie or submission. KJV (22): (vf: Paal, Niphal, Hitpael, Piel) lie, submit, deny, fail, dissemble, liar, deceive - Strongs: H3584 (כָּחַשׁ)
Nm) shk (כההסה KHhSh) - I. Lie:A denial of the truth. II. Leanness:A denial of food. KJV (7): lying, lies, leanness - Strongs: H3585 (כַּחַשׁ), H3586 (כֶּחָשׁ)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
Qal. Perfect 3 masculine singular וּבְשָׂרִי כָּחַשׁ מִשָּׁ֑מֶן Psalm 109:24 my flesh hath grown lean (away) from fatness ("" בִּרְכַּי כָּֽשְׁלוּ מִצּוֺם).
Niph`al Imperfect וְיִכָּֽחֲשׂוּ אֹיְבֶיךָ לָךְ Deuteronomy 33:29 thine enemies shall cringe (come cringing, i.e. originally act deceptively, feigning obedience) to thee (compare also Pi`el 3, Hithpa`el)
Pi`el Perfect 3 masculine singular כִּחֵשׁ 1 Kings 13:18; Habakkuk 3:17; וְכִּ֫חֶשׁ consecutive (before monosyll.) Leviticus 5:22; Job 8:18, etc.; Imperfect יְכַ֫חֶשּׁ (בָּהּׅ Hosea 9:2; 3 feminine singular וַתְּכַחֵשׂ Genesis 18:15, etc.; Infinitive absolute כַּחֵשׁ Hosea 4:2; Isaiah 59:13; construct Zechariah 13:4; —
1 device, absolute Genesis 18:15 (J), Joshua 7:11 (JE), Hosea 4:2 (אלה וכחשׁ together = false swearing according to We Kl. Pr.; + וְרָצֹחַ וְגָנֹב וְנָאֹ֑ף), compare לֹא תִגְנֹ֑בוּ וְלֹאֿתְכַחֲשׁוּ וְלֹא תְשַׁקְּרוּ אִישׁ בַּעֲמִיתוֺ Leviticus 19:11 (H); ׳לְמַעַן כ Zechariah 13:4 in order to deceive; followed by לְ person 1 Kings 13:18; Job 31:28; followed by בְ person and of thing Leviticus 5:21, בְ of thing Leviticus 6:22.
2 act deceptively against (i.e. seem to acknowledge, but not really do so), followed by בְ person Joshua 24:27 (E), Jeremiah 5:12; Isaiah 59:13; Job 8:18, apparently also בָּהּ׳וְתִירוֺשׁ יכ Hosea 9:2 and new wine shall deny her (Israel; i.e. refuse to acknowledge her as its mistress, not yield itself to her); absolute Proverbs 30:9.
3 cringe = come cringing (make shew of obedience, see Niph`al) followed by בְ person Psalm 18:45 (Hithpa`el in "" 2 Samuel 22:45); followed by לְ person Psalm 66:3; Psalm 81:16.
4 disappoint, fail, absolute כִּחֵשׁ מַעֲשֵׂה זַיִת Habakkuk 3:17 the product of the olive hath failed (in sense compare Hosea 9:2 above)
Hithpa`el Imperfect יִתְכַּחֲשׁוּ לִי 2 Samuel 22:45 shall come cringing to me ("" Psalm 18:45. see above)
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com
כָּחַשׁ (kindred to כָּחַד)
(1) prob. to lie (see Piel).
(2) to fail, used of the body (compare כִּזַּב Isaiah 58:11). Psalms 109:24, בְּשָׂרִי כָּחַשׁ מִשֶּׁמֶן “my flesh faileth of fatness,” i.e. is void of fat, is become lean. Compare כַּחַשׁ.
(1) to deny, Genesis 18:15; Joshua 7:11 followed by בְּ of pers. and thing, to disavow any thing, Lev. 5:21, 22 Job 8:18, כִּחֵשׁ בַּיהֹוָה to deny the Lord; Isaiah 59:13; Jeremiah 5:12 ellipt. Proverbs 30:9, פֶּן־אֶשְׂבַּע וְכִחַשְׁתִּי “lest I be full and deny (God).”
(2) to lie, Levit. 19:11 Hosea 4:2 followed by לְ 1 Kings 13:18, כִּחֵשׁ לוֹ “he lied to him.”
(3) to deceive (one’s expectation); hence, i.q. to fail, used of the productions of the earth, Hosea 9:2; Habakkuk 3:17 compare Lat. spem mentita seges, fundus mendax.
(4) to feign, to flatter, most commonly used of the vanquished pretending subjection and love towards a victor, Psalms 18:45, 66:3 81:16 כִּחֵשׁ לַיהֹוָה Job 31:28.
Niphal, Deuteronomy 33:29, and Hithpael, 2 Samuel 22:45, i.q. Piel No. 4. Hence
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary developed by Jeff Garrison for StudyLight.org.
Copyright 1999-2023. All Rights Reserved, Jeff Garrison, Gdansk, Poland.