Click to donate today!
Old Testament Hebrew Lexical Dictionary
Strong's #7880 - שִׂיחַ
1) bush, plant, shrub
Nm ) hix (סיהה SYHh) - I. Meditating:A sweeping away in thought. [df: xyV]II. Bush:As sweeping in the wind. KJV (18): complaint, meditation, prayer, talking, communication, babbling - Strongs: H7879 (שִׂיחַ), H7880 (שִׂיחַ)
Jeff Benner, Ancient Hebrew Research Center Used by permission of the author.
(1) pr. to produce, to bring forth, to put forth (comp. Syr. ܫܘܰܚ to germinate, to flourish; Aphel ܐܫܰܘܰܚ to put forth shoots, buds, and Med. quiesc. ܐܰܫܚܺܚ to dare, pr. to life oneself up, ܫܘܽܚܙܳ bushes, and Heb. שִׂיחַ No. 1). In Hebrew
(2) to speak, pr. to utter with the mouth, comp. אָמַר No. 1. Followed by לְ to speak to any one, Job 12:8 with suff. Proverbs 6:22, תְּשִׂיחֶךָ “he shall speak with thee.” Followed by בְּ to speak of any one, Psalms 69:13.
(3) to sing, Judges 5:10; Psalms 145:5. Followed by בְּ to celebrate anything in song, Psalms 105:2, and in a bad sense, to lament, to complain, Psalms 55:18; Job 7:11.
(4) to talk with oneself, i.e. to meditate, especially on divine things, Psalms 77:4, Psalms 77:7 followed by בְּ of the thing, Psalms 119:15, 23 Psalms 119:23, 27 Psalms 119:27, 48 Psalms 119:48, 78 Psalms 119:78, 148 Psalms 119:148, 77:13. Compare syn. הָגָה.
Pilel שׂוֹחֵחַ to meditate, Psalms 143:5 to think upon anything, Isaiah 53:8.
Hence שֵׂחַ, שִׂיהָה, and
(1) a shrub, bush, see the root No. 1 [in Thes. this first signification is taken as a distinct root], Genesis 2:5. Pl. Genesis 21:13; Job 30:4, Job 30:7.
(2) speech, discourse, 2 Kings 9:11.
(3) quarrel, Job 7:13, 9:27 21:4 23:2 Psalms 142:3; 1 Samuel 1:16.
(4) meditation, 1 Kings 18:27 in mockery of Baal, as not answering the supplications of his priests, it is said שִׂיחַ לוֹ “he has a meditation,” i.e. he is so entirely taken up with meditating that he cannot hear; or, from signif. No. 2, “he has a discourse” (conversation) with some. LXX. ἀδολεσχία αὐτῷ ἐστί, the Greek word denoting both meditation and conversation.
the Second Week of Advent