Click here to join the effort!
The genealogies in this chapter comprise the descendants of Isaac through Israel (Jacob), and the descendants of Judah.
3. The sons of Judah] Some of the names that follow are given differently in the other books where they occur.
9. Chelubai] the Caleb of 1 Chronicles 2:18, 1 Chronicles 2:42.
15. David the seventh] In 1 Samuel 17:12 it is implied that Jesse had eight sons.
18. And of Jerioth] The passage is probably corrupt, and Jerioth may be the name of Azubah’s father.
21. The father of Gilead] i.e. the occupier and lord of Gilead: see Numbers 32:40. The term ’father’ is used in the same sense in 1 Chronicles 2:24, 1 Chronicles 2:42, 1 Chronicles 2:45, 1 Chronicles 2:50-51, etc.
22. Jair] apparently the Jair of Judges 10:3, Judges 10:4.
23. And he took, etc.] RV ’and Geshur and Aram took the towns of Jair from them.’ Geshur was a small Aramean (Syrian) state on the border of the Manassite settlements E. of the Jordan (Deuteronomy 3:14), and the passage implies that the Geshurites and other Aramean peoples eventually deprived the tribe of Manasseh (from whom Machir was descended) of the cities here mentioned.
24. In Caleb-ephratah] The LXX suggests that the true reading is ’Caleb went in unto Ephrath, the wife of his father Hezron’ (see 1 Chronicles 2:19), ’who bare him Ashur,’ etc. The union here implied was not in early times held to be incestuous, for an heir inherited his father’s wives like the rest of his property: cp. 2 Samuel 16:21.
25. The sons of Jerahmeel] For the Jerahmeelites in Israelite history see 1 Samuel 27:10; 1 Samuel 30:29.
35. To Jarha his servant] with the purpose of making him his heir. For the inheritance by a servant of his master’s property cp. Eliezer and Abraham: Genesis 15:2 RV.
49. She bare also Shaaph] better, with the LXX, ’Shaaph’ (1 Chronicles 2:47) ’begat the father of Madmannah.’.
50. These were.. Caleb] This sentence refers to the preceding 1 Chronicles 2:42-49, and should be followed by a full stop. The son of Hur, etc.] This should be ’the sons of Hur the firstborn of Ephratah’ (1 Chronicles 2:19) ’were: Shobal,’ etc.
55. Kenites] for the Kenites in Israelite history see Judges 1:16; Judges 4:11; 1 Samuel 15:6; 1 Samuel 27:10. Rechab] Allusions to the descendants of Rechab occur in 2 Kings 10:15; Jeremiah 35:2.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on 1 Chronicles 2". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Christ the King / Proper 29 / Ordinary 34