Click to donate today!
Reign of Joash (concluded)
An account of the repair of the Temple, the idolatry of Joash after the death of Jehoiada, the murder of Jehoiada’s son, and the king’s violent death.
The early part of this chapter reproduces 2 Kings 11:21 to 2 Kings 12:16, with unimportant variations, but 2 Chronicles 24:15-22 are entirely supplementary, and give a different account of the closing years of the reign of Joash from that contained in 2 K.
6. According to .. Moses] This refers to the half-shekel required to be paid by every Israelite as an atonement for his soul: Exodus 30:13-16.
7. The sons of Athaliah] perhaps her adherents, rather than her children, who had been killed in the lifetime of their father Jehoram: 2 Chronicles 21:17.
15. An hundred and thirty] an age unprecedented since Joshua: Joshua 24:29.
16. Among the kings] Jehoiada thus received an honour which was refused to Joash: 2 Chronicles 24:25.
20. The son of Jehoiada] called in Matthew 23:35; ’the son of Barachias’ by confusion with Zachariah the prophet. Which stood above the people] probably on a platform.
23. The host of Syria] Hazael, the king of Syria, was engaged in attacking Gath, and from thence made an incursion into Judah.
Destroyed all the princes] These were the instigators of the king’s impiety: 2 Chronicles 24:17.
25. The sons of Jehoiada] better, as in LXX, ’the son of Jehoiada’ (2 Chronicles 24:20-21).
27. The burdens, etc.] better, ’the multitude of the oracles uttered against him’: see 2 Chronicles 24:19, and cp. 2 Kings 9:25. The story] RV ’the commentary’: see on 2 Kings 13:22.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on 2 Chronicles 24". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 21 / Ordinary 26