Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Reign of Uzziah
This chapter adds largely to the parallel account of Uzziah’s reign in 2 Kings 15:1-7, and furnishes information respecting his wars, his military defences, and the cause of his leprosy.
1. Uzziah] This is the usual form in Chronicles except in 1 Chronicles 3:12 in Kings it is generally ’Azariah.’
6. Jabneh] between Joppa and Ashdod: afterwards called Jamnia.
7. The Mehunims] see on 2 Chronicles 20:1.
9. The valley gate] probably a gate leading into the valley of Hinnom, at the S. end of the W. hill.
10. In the desert, etc.] Uzziah’s cattle were pastured in three different districts, (a) the desert (or wilderness) in the S. and SE. of Judah, which has some fertile spots; (b) the low country (or lowland), consisting of the slopes that extend from the Judæan hills to the Mediterranean; (c) the plains, or tableland, E. of the Dead Sea and the Jordan, where Uzziah may have secured rights of pasturage from the Ammonites (2 Chronicles 26:8). Carmel] RV ’the fruitful fields’: or level garden-land, as distinct from the ’mountains’ or hilly districts.
14. Habergeons] RV ’coats of mail.’
Slings to cast stones] RV ’stones for slinging’: which had to be supplied of a certain size and in sufficient quantity.
15. Engines] These were machines of the nature of catapults.
16. To his destruction] RV ’so that he did corruptly.’ Into the temple] The altar of incense was in the Holy Place.
18. To the priests, etc.] The restriction to the sons of Aaron of the duty of offering incense is enforced in the Law by the history of Korah: Numbers 16:40.
21. In a several house] i.e. in a lazar house. For the seclusion of leprous persons from the community cp. Leviticus 13:46; Numbers 5:2.
22. Isaiah] The prophet received his prophetic call in the year that Uzziah died (Isaiah 6:1).
23. In the field of the burial, etc.] i.e. in the royal burial ground, but not in the royal sepulchres.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on 2 Chronicles 26". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 14 / Ordinary 19