Solomon's Buildings. His Trade with Ophir
This chapter reproduces the substance of 1 Kings 9:10, 1 Kings 9:28 but describes some additional buildings.
2. Had restored] If the reference is to the cities which Solomon gave to Hiram, it seems best to assume that they had been merely pledged as security for money which Solomon borrowed and afterwards repaid: 1 Kings 9:14.
3. Hamath-zobah] Perhaps a Hamath in Zobah (a country E. of the Sea of G-alilee, in the region of the modern Haurân).
4. Tadmor] the later Palmyra, a city 150 m. NE. of Damascus in the Syrian desert.
8. Them did Solomon, etc.] RV 'of them did Solomon raise a levy of bondservants.'
13. After a certain rate, etc.] RV 'as the duty of every day required': cp. 2 Chronicles 8:14.
16. Unto the day] LXX has 'from the day.'
18. In 1 Kings 9:26-28 it is stated that Solomon 'made' a navy of ships at Eziongeber, and that Hiram sent him skilled mariners.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on 2 Chronicles 8". "John Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Second Week after Epiphany