Click here to learn more!
Salutations. The Second Advent
1-4. Greeting and thanksgiving for their constant faith and love and patience under persecution: cp. 1 Thessalonians 1:3.
5-C. 2 Thessalonians 2:17. The Coming of Christ to judgment. Much is to happen before Christ comes.
5. A manifest token] The words refer to their sufferings and their patience. If God is righteous there must come a time when wrongs such as theirs shall be righted, and patience like theirs be rewarded. Thus the sufferings and patience of the Thessalonians become a proof that there is a judgment to come (Philippians 1:8).
7. Rest] better, ’relief.’ The true rest and relief comes to the faithful when Christ comes.
8. Taking vengeance] better, ’awarding retribution.’ Them that know not God, and that obey not] better, (1) ’them that know not, and (2) them that obey not. ’Possibly (1) Gentiles and (2) Jews.
9. The everlasting destruction (only here) consists in exclusion from God’s presence.
11. Calling] cp. Philippians 3:14, Hebrews 3:1. All the good pleasure of his goodness] better, ’all delight in well-doing.’
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on 2 Thessalonians 1". "John Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 24 / Ordinary 29