Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
Israel will Surely Repent and be Forgiven
Hosea makes a touching final appeal for repentance. He assures Israel of God’s mercy, and closes with a description of the blessings that will follow the renewal of His favour.
2. Take.. words] go to Him, prepared to confess your sins. Receive us graciously] RV ’accept that which is good,’ i.e. what is good in us, in contrast to the iniquity which God is asked to take away. Render] i.e. offer. The calves.. lips] better, ’our lips as bullocks’—that sacrifice of penitence which is outwardly expressed not in the sacrifice of animals, but in confession of sin: cp. Psalms 51:17.
3. Israel would no longer depend upon the help either of foreign powers or of the idols, but trust in Jehovah, the helper of the fatherless.
5. Dew] a frequent metaphor to express spiritual blessing: cp. Deuteronomy 32:2. The paucity of rain made the land dependent on frequent and heavy dews: cp. 1 Kings 17:1. Grow] RV ’blossom.’
6. Olive] the emblem of fatness and fertility.
8. This v. passes into a sort of dialogue between Ephraim and God. Thus:
Ephraim. What have I to do any more with idols? i.e. I will in future have nothing more to do with them.
Jehovah. (RV) ’I have answered, and will regard him,’ i.e. I have heard his prayer, and will answer it.
Ephraim. I am like a green fir tree] I am strong and prosperous.
Jehovah. From me is thy fruit found, i.e. do not in prosperity once more forget that it comes from Me: cp. John 15:4.
9. A general reflection on the teaching of the book, which cannot be understood except by the wise and prudent, but in the end will be found to be true wisdom: cp. Psalms 107:43. This epilogue may have been added at a later date, to point the moral of the whole book.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Hosea 14". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 15 / Ordinary 20