Consider helping today!
1. The speaker is probably Jehovah Himself. Hold my peace] cp. Isaiah 42:14. The righteousness] i.e. her vindication, the setting of her right in the eyes of the world (cp. Isaiah 58:8). Salvation] i.e. deliverance.
2. New name] as befits her new character (Isaiah 1:26; Jeremiah 33:16): see Isaiah 42:4.
3. In the hand] so held for the admiration of the world.
4. The figure is again that of a bride (Isaiah 54:6) in whom her husband delights. Hephzibah.. Beulah] meaning, ’My delight is in her,’ and ’Married.’
5. The same image differently applied, the people being regarded as the bridegroom and their country as the bride.
6. Watchmen] These are angelic beings who report to Jehovah what happens on earth, and intercede for mercy to Zion (Zechariah 1:11-12).
Ye that make, etc.] RV ’ye that are the Lord’s remembrancers, take ye no rest.’
8, 9. The foe will no more rob them of their harvests, but the produce of the land shall be used for the service of the Temple. Holiness] RV ’sanctuary.’
10. A command to prepare the way for the returning exiles (Isaiah 40:8; Isaiah 57:14).
For the people] RV ’for the peoples,’ that they may escort the Israelites.
11. His reward, etc.] see on Isaiah 40:10. Work] RV ’recompence.’
12. Holy people] Israel’s ideal character realised (Exodus 19:6 cp. Isaiah 61:6). Sought out] contrast Jeremiah 30:17. Not forsaken] Cp. Isaiah 62:4.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Isaiah 62". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the First Week of Advent