1-3. The imagery is taken from the account of the divine manifestation at Sinai (Exodus 19:18).
2. RV 'As when fire kindleth the brushwood, and the fire causeth,' etc.
4. O God, etc.] RV 'a God beside thee, which worketh for him that waiteth for Him.' St. Paul (1 Corinthians 2:9) alludes to this passage to emphasise the fact that human wisdom cannot fathom the working of God. Meetest] i.e. as a friend.
Art] RV 'wast.' In those, etc.] RV 'in them' (i.e. our sins) 'have we been of long time, and shall we be saved?'
6. An unclean thing] RV 'one that is unclean.' Filthy rags] RV 'a polluted garment': such as was ceremonially unclean.
8. Cp. Isaiah 63:16; Romans 9:20. An appeal to God that He will not abandon the work of His own hands.
10, 11. Another motive for Jehovah's interference—the present desolation of the land and sanctuary dedicated to Him.
10. Holy cities] Elsewhere Jerusalem only is so called, but the attribute is here extended to the whole land (Zechariah 2:12).
11. Pleasant things] the same word as 'goodly vessels,' 2 Chronicles 36:19.
12. Refrain thyself] i.e. refuse to give way to natural tenderness (Genesis 45:1).
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Isaiah 64". "John Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Third Week after Easter