Consider helping today!
Jeremiah’s Twelfth Prophecy (Reign of Zedekiah during the Siege). Zedekiah’s Roll
This chapter commences a new division of the book extending to the end of Jeremiah 24. We pass from the time of Jehoiakim to that of the last king of Judah, when Jerusalem was attacked by the Chaldeans. The city must be taken, but surrender may still ensure safety.
1-10. The king’s appeal to the prophet, and the reply.
1. Pashur] see on Jeremiah 20:2. Zephaniah] mentioned again Jeremiah 29:25; Jeremiah 37:3; Jeremiah 52:24. In Jeremiah 52 he is spoken of as ’the second priest,’ meaning next in rank to the high priest. Both men were for resisting Nebuchadnezzar.
2. Nebuchadrezzar] meaning, ’O Nebo, defend the landmark’. It is a more correct spelling than ’Nebuchadnezzar’ in Jeremiah 34:1.
4. The defenders will be driven back into the city.
9. He that goeth out, etc.] Many acted upon this suggestion: see Jeremiah 39:9; Jeremiah 52:16. His life shall be unto him for a prey] i.e. he shall snatch it from destruction.
10. He shall burn it with fire] see Jeremiah 52:13.
Jeremiah’s Thirteenth Prophecy
A collection of short prophecies here forming one group, delivered, however, at various dates, and perhaps reissued with modifications from time to time to suit the needs of successive occasions.
Jeremiah 21:11 to Jeremiah 22:30 deal with the sins of succèssive kings, Jeremiah 23:1-8 give expression to Messianic hopes. Jeremiah 24:1-10 show by the figure of baskets of worthless figs the rottenness to which the state had been reduced under Zedekiah.
11-14. Exhortation and warning to the royal house.
12. Execute judgment] An important part of the king’s duties was to adjudicate cases of dispute in the open space at the gate of the city: cp. 2 Samuel 15:2.
13. Valley] see on Jeremiah 17:3.
14. The forest] referring to the houses of Jerusalem clustered together, or perhaps to the house of the forest of Lebanon (1 Kings 7:2).
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Jeremiah 21". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Third Week after Epiphany