The Fate of Egypt
1-7. They disobey and go to Egypt.
7. Tahpanhes] see on Jeremiah 2:16.
Here ends the historical portion of the book, the remainder consisting of prophecies directed mainly against foreign nations.
8-13. Prophecy of the overthrow of Egypt.
9. In the clay in the brick-kiln] RV 'in mortar in the brickwork.'
11. Death] by famine or pestilence.
12. Nebuchadnezzar shall have no more difficulty in spoiling Egypt than has the shepherd in wrapping his outer garment about him after his labour.
13. Images] RV 'pillars,'RM 'obelisks.'
Beth-shemesh (Gk. 'Heliopolis,'Egyptian 'On') was a city of obelisks, two of which stood before the Temple of the Sun. Its site is about 10 m. NE. of Cairo.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Jeremiah 43". "John Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Third Week after Epiphany