Millions miss a meal or two each day.
Help us change that! Click to donate today!
The Marriage of Samson
1-5. Samson chooses a wife among the Philistines. He and his parents go down to Timnath.
2. Timnath] some 4 m. SW. of Zorah, allotted to Dan (Joshua 19:43); it was retaken by the Philistines in the reign of Ahaz (2 Chronicles 28:18). Get her for me to wife] It was customary for parents to conduct the negotiations and pay the dowry: cp. Genesis 34:4-12.
3. Cp. Genesis 24:3; Genesis 26:34; Genesis 27:46; Genesis 4. It was of the Lord] God purposed to use Samson as a weapon against the Philistines.
6-9. The slaying of the Lion.
6. Cp. Judges 13:25 for the exploit, cp. 1 Samuel 17:34; 2 Samuel 23:20.
8. A swarm of bees.. in the carcase] probably it had dried up under the hot sun.
10, 11. The bridal feast.
11. When they saw him] Many Greek MSS, by a slight change, read ’since they feared him,’ a natural explanation of this choice of what was practically a ’body-guard.’ Cp. Matthew 9:15, ’the children of the bride-chamber.’
12-20. Samson’s Riddle and its consequences.
12. Thirty] one for each of his new companions. Sheets] RV ’linen garments.’
15. Called] i.e. invited us to your feast. To take that we have] RV ’impoverish us.’
16. She does not dare to tell her husband the real reason of her curiosity.
17. Lay sore upon him] RV ’pressed him sore.’
19. Ashkelon] on the coast of the Philistine country. There is, however, a village of the same name about an hour S. of Timnath (mentioned in ’Survey of Western Palestine’) to which perhaps Samson rushed off. To leave the bride like this is an insult, which her father at once avenges by giving her to the ’best man’: cp. Judges 15:2.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Judges 14". "Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 15 / Ordinary 20