1. Grievous] i.e. annoying. 'If one pour in hot water let the other pour in cold.'
3. Beholding] RV 'keeping watch upon,' as watching over a city (Isaiah 52:8), or the prophets over the people (Ezekiel 3:17).
4. Read, 'a soothing tongue.. a wound in the spirit.'
7. Doeth not so] RM 'is not steadfast.'
8. A costly offering from the one is unacceptable: the mere prayer of the other is accepted (Mark 12:42).
11. Hell and destruction] RV 'Sheol and Abaddon.' The latter means 'place of destruction': cp. Proverbs 27:20; Job 26:6; Job 28:22; Job 31:12; Psalms 88:11. At Revelation 9:11; Abaddon is the Angel of Destruction. Subsequently it became the name for the lowest part of Gehenna.
15. 'Cheerful,' not merry: it is not the word rendered 'merry' inv. 13.
16. Religion delivers from harassing care.
17. A stalled ox] is one kept up and fattened for slaughter.
19. The one sees imaginary hindrances: the other's course is a well-made level road.
21. RV 'maketh straight his going': i.e. acts straightforwardly.
23. Well-considered and opportune speech brings joy.
24. Lit. 'The way of life upward is to the wise man': he escapes the premature death of the wicked.
26. RV 'pleasant words are pure' (in God's eyes).
27. Bribery is one of the greatest curses of the East (Exodus 18:21; Ezekiel 22:12; Sirach 17:7).
30. The light of the eyes] i.e. good fortune.
31. He who does not wish to learn will be neither welcome nor happy among the wise.
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Dummelow, John. "Commentary on Proverbs 15". "John Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible". https://www.studylight.org/
the Third Week after Epiphany