Click here to join the effort!
Saw rich men dropping their gifts. For notes on the widow’s copper coins, see Mark 12:41-44.
When will this be? This parallels Matthew 24:0. See notes on each section at the reference in Matthew 18:0. But not a single hair from your heads will be lost. Every Christian escaped from Jerusalem before the Roman armies built the barricades. Not one of them died in the horror of the destruction. But also even if some were killed because of their faith in Christ, they would not lose any of God’s promise!
20. When you see Jerusalem surrounded. This is the “Awful Horror” of Matthew. See note on Matthew 24:15.
24. And the heathen will trample over Jerusalem. This must mean the actual work of destruction. The Romans were thought of as “heathen” by the Jews. See notes on Matthew 24:29-31.
25. There will be signs in the sun. Josephus the Jewish historian tells that these things were actually seen and heard in the last few years before Jerusalem was destroyed.
27. Then the Son of Man will appear. Matthew says the sign of the Son of Man. Not the Second Coming, but a “spiritual coming” of Jesus in the judgment on the Jewish nation. This can be tied in with 1 Peter 4:17-18.
32. Before the people now living have all died. This shows the “time frame” for the fulfillment of what he says. It would be while that generation of people were still living. See note on Matthew 24:34.
Watch yourselves! Only Luke gives this exact wording. See notes on Matthew 24:38-51.
Spend the night on the Mount of Olives. Johnson thinks this means “at Bethany,” rather than out on the lonely mountain side. See note on Matthew 21:17.
All the people would go to the temple. All the Gospels picture the intense interest of the people in his teaching during this last week.
These files are public domain.
Ice, Rhoderick D. "Commentary on Luke 21". "The Bible Study New Testament". https://www.studylight.org/
the Week of Proper 24 / Ordinary 29