Click here to get started today!
The King of Kings
A. Last week we studied about commercial Babylon in chapter 18!
1. Commercial Babylon being that part of the ant-Christian system that gives politics its power = MONEY!
a) We saw satan’s capitol city of Babylon, as the dwelling place of not just many demon possessed leaders, but demon "masters", high up in the chain of command of satan’s armies.
(1) Those spoken about in Eph_6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. (NKJV)
b) We saw the "buyers and sellers" in great despair as the Lord destroyed Babylon forever!
(1) But, it was not true repentance but grief over the loss of money and power.
c) We saw an end to spiritual Babylon in chapter 17 and an end to commercial Babylon in chapter 18.
(1) We must keep in mind that the main power behind Babylon, GOT OUT!
(a) The dragon and the beast and the false prophet are en route to the great battle of Armageddon!
(2) Now we move into what is probably the most beautiful part of the Revelation.
(a) Seeing Jesus return as KING OF KINGS and LORD OF LORDS!
II. Rev_19:1-3 AFTER THESE THINGS I HEARD A LOUD VOICE OF A GREAT MULTITUDE IN HEAVEN, SAYING, "ALLELUIA! SALVATION AND GLORY AND HONOR AND POWER BELONG TO THE LORD OUR GOD!
2 "FOR TRUE AND RIGHTEOUS ARE HIS JUDGMENTS, BECAUSE HE HAS JUDGED THE GREAT HARLOT WHO CORRUPTED THE EARTH WITH HER FORNICATION; AND HE HAS AVENGED ON HER THE BLOOD OF HIS SERVANTS SHED BY HER."
3 AGAIN THEY SAID, "ALLELUIA! HER SMOKE RISES UP FOREVER AND EVER!" (NKJV)
A. Verse 1 contains the famous HALLELUJAH CHORUS!
1. As the "great multitude" in heaven break out in praise to the Lord!
2. The word hallelujah is a combination of hallal = "praise", and yah = short for "Jehovah".
a) So the meaning is actually "praise ye the Lord".
B. In the New Testament, it occurs only in this chapter and is used 4 times in verses 1 through 6!!!
1. The saints have already praised Him for creation (in Rev_4:11 , and for redemption (in Rev_5:12 ; Rev_5:13 ).
2. Now they praise Him for salvation, and ascribe glory and honor, and power to His name!
a) You see, He has destroyed Babylon!
(1) An answer to thousands if not millions of prayers over centuries of time!!!
3. Once again the Lord’s judgments are proclaimed as "true and righteous".
a) Unnumbered millions will be destined to the lake of fire because of the spiritual seductions of Babylon!
b) A second Hallelujah is proclaimed, "Praise be to God" for his justice against Babylon!
(1) And John makes a point to let us know that the smoky smell of her judgment will be an eternal reminder that God is just!
III. Rev_19:4 AND THE TWENTY-FOUR ELDERS AND THE FOUR LIVING CREATURES FELL DOWN AND WORSHIPED GOD WHO SAT ON THE THRONE, SAYING, "AMEN! ALLELUIA!" (NKJV)
A. As we have said in the past, the 24 Elders represent all the redeemed saints and the 4 cherubim represent all the angels.
1. This is a picture of all the HOST OF HEAVEN worshipping the Lord!
2. The word worship is proskuneo and it means to kiss the hand of the Lord!
a) In the East (still today in some countries), people will bow down in front of royalty and kiss their hand (or place it on their forehead) as a sign of loyal subjection!
b) Worship is simply "bowing down to the will of God".
(1) That is very difficult to do sometimes, when His will is different that what we want!
(2) But, true worship is "bowing down" in obedient faith, even when we don’t understand. When times are the darkest!
(3) As Dr. Henry Morris puts it, "The will of God may be difficult, but the will of God is best."
c) Notice what all of heaven is saying, "Amen; Hallelujah."
(1) Which translates, "So be it - praise the Lord!"
(2) This reminds me of another, and what was probably the greatest example of worship that we have ever seen!
(a) It was in the Garden when Jesus faced His darkest hour as a man yet He said, "Father, not my will, but thine be done!"
(b) He "bowed own" to the will of His father.
IV. Rev_19:5-7 THEN A VOICE CAME FROM THE THRONE, SAYING, "PRAISE OUR GOD, ALL YOU HIS SERVANTS AND THOSE WHO FEAR HIM, BOTH SMALL AND GREAT!"
6 AND I HEARD, AS IT WERE, THE VOICE OF A GREAT MULTITUDE, AS THE SOUND OF MANY WATERS AND AS THE SOUND OF MIGHTY THUNDERINGS, SAYING, "ALLELUIA! FOR THE LORD GOD OMNIPOTENT REIGNS!
7 "LET US BE GLAD AND REJOICE AND GIVE HIM GLORY, FOR THE MARRIAGE OF THE LAMB HAS COME, AND HIS WIFE HAS MADE HERSELF READY." (NKJV)
A. Since this voice comes from the throne where the Lord is seated, it is most likely the Jesus Himself.
1. Just as he gave His Father praise in His darkest hour, here we see Him as the greatest worship leader of all time!
2. Leading the largest congregation since time began "the voice of a great multitude, the voice of many waters, the voice of mighty thunderings" closing with the 4th and final hallelujah of the New Testament and extolling His power!
a) It is a time of great rejoicing because the time of the Lord’s marriage to the church has come! THE APEX OF ALL SCRIPTURE! What all eternity has waited for!
B. THE BRIDE IS FINALLY READY!
1. The portrait of this heavenly "marriage" has been painted throughout man’s history and throughout God’s word.
a) Gen_2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. (NKJV)
b) Eph_5:25-27 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,
26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word,
27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. (NKJV)
c) Eph_5:30-32 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones.
31 "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh."
32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. (NKJV)
(1) The Lord has always wanted to be married to one,(monogamy - and the church is referred to in the feminine - not Adam and Steve)
(a) And the Lord has always wanted to have that "one" be faithful to Him, but that has not always been the case!
(2) Hos_2:7 tells us about God’s people Israel and their unfaithfulness, She will chase her lovers, But not overtake them; Yes, she will seek them, but not find them. Then she will say, 'I will go and return to my first husband, For then it was better for me than now.' (NKJV)
(3) It hasn’t been just Israel!, many of us have at one time in our lives been unfaithful to the Lord!
(a) It’s kinda like the story of Ray Helminiak who in lousy spring weather, would switched from country lanes to shopping malls for his daily stroll. There the weather was always under control, and was great for people watching. "One day, I noticed a senior citizen couple strolling along, holding hands," Ray said. The next day, I saw the same couple, and this time they were not only holding hands, the man had a firm grip on his wife's elbow. When he got home, Ray thought to himself how grand their relationship must be, even after so many years together, raising a family and how they are now slowing down to take life a little easier. "Would you believe I saw them again the next time I was at the mall?" Ray said. "Now they were not only holding hands, the husband had his arm around his wife's waist." Ray said he couldn't resist the urge to talk to them. "I hope you don't think me too forward," Ray said, "but I just want you to know how happy it makes me, and I'm sure many others, to see this display of affection among older married folks." The man looked Ray right in the eye and said, "Son, if I let go of her one darn second, she'll start shopping,"
(4) Many have worshipped other Gods including ourselves!
(5) But, when repentance comes, the Lord is quick to forgive!
V. Rev_19:8-9 AND TO HER IT WAS GRANTED TO BE ARRAYED IN FINE LINEN, CLEAN AND BRIGHT, FOR THE FINE LINEN IS THE RIGHTEOUS ACTS OF THE SAINTS.
9 THEN HE SAID TO ME, "WRITE: 'BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CALLED TO THE MARRIAGE SUPPER OF THE LAMB!' " AND HE SAID TO ME, "THESE ARE THE TRUE SAYINGS OF GOD." (NKJV)
A. The Bride’s old garments were the "filthy rags" of self righteousness, idol worship, and spiritual adultery!
1. The beautiful part is that she knows and has accepted her hopeless condition!
2. She has also accepted the forgiveness of her faithful husband, the Lord!
a) Isa_61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. (NKJV)
b) The Bride has become "righteous" simply by realizing her lost condition, and accepting the Lord’s forgiveness!
c) The Lord tells John to remind everyone by his writings, that Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb.
d) Who has been "called" to this "marriage supper"?
(1) Mat_22:1-6 gives a little insight as to who this group. And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables and said:
2 "The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who arranged a marriage for his son,
3 "and sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding; and they were not willing to come.
4 "Again, he sent out other servants, saying, 'Tell those who are invited, "See, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatted cattle are killed, and all things are ready. Come to the wedding." '
5 "But they made light of it and went their ways, one to his own farm, another to his business.
6 "And the rest seized his servants, treated them spitefully, and killed them.
(a) You see, Jesus has invited everyone to accept His forgiveness and to be clothed with the wedding garments of righteousness, but not everyone will accept!
(i) As in the parable, there are always a million excuses.
e) There is yet another parable that speaks of another group that misses the wedding!
(1) Mat_25:1-12 "Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.
2 "Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3 "Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them,
4 "but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5 "But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.
6 "And at midnight a cry was heard: 'Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!'
7 "Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps.
8 "And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.'
9 "But the wise answered, saying, 'No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.'
10 "And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut.
11 "Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open to us!'
12 "But he answered and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.' (NKJV)
(a) The first group of people we excluded from the wedding by their own choice!
(b) In the second parable 1/2 of the people were excluded by their own negligence!
(i) Notice they were anticipating the bridegroom, but were gone when he arrived!
(ii) Could it be that this group represents all those who call themselves "Christians" and maybe even attend church thinking they are saved and safe, but in reality they have never placed a "saving" faith in the Lord!
(iii) Secure in their "religion", but in reality very, very lost!
(iv) Mat_7:22-23 "Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?'
23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!' (NKJV)
(2)Notice, that the Bridegroom furnishes the only garment that is acceptable at this wedding! Mat_22:11-13 "But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment.
12 "So he said to him, 'Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?' And he was speechless.
13 "Then the king said to the servants, 'Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth'
(3) If Jesus is not Lord of all He is not Lord at all!!
VI. Rev_19:10 AND I FELL AT HIS FEET TO WORSHIP HIM. BUT HE SAID TO ME, "SEE THAT YOU DO NOT DO THAT! I AM YOUR FELLOW SERVANT, AND OF YOUR BRETHREN WHO HAVE THE TESTIMONY OF JESUS. WORSHIP GOD! FOR THE TESTIMONY OF JESUS IS THE SPIRIT OF PROPHECY." (NKJV)
A. The Lord and the Lord alone is to be worshipped!
1. Not our denomination, not our churches, not our leaders, just Jesus!
a) If our denomination, or our church, or for that matter our leaders get in the way of that precious relationship, it is time for a change!
b) Maybe it is to this group of people, who let "things" become more important that the Lord, that He will say, "I never knew you; depart from Me,"
(Written by a pastor whose wife has Alzheimer's) The seminary board arranged for a companion to stay in our home so I could go daily to the office. During those two years it became increasingly difficult to keep Muriel at home. As soon as I left, she would take out after me. With me, she was content; without me, she was distressed, sometimes terror-stricken. The walk to the office is a mile round trip. She would make that trip as many as ten times a day. Sometimes at night, when I helped her undress, I found bloody feet. When I told our family doctor, he choked upand said, "I have never seen such love".
The King of Kings Part 2
When Pastor Melvin Wheatly was in his first church just out of seminary he wanted his first sermon to make a real impact on the new congregation. He preached what he thought was the best sermon on suffering and its meaning. At the door after the service one little lady, who always had a compliment for the preacher, said, "Oh, Pastor Wheatly I never knew what it really meant to suffer until I heard you preach." -- Todd Dyess, Spearman, TX
A. Last week we studied the famous HALLELUJAH CHORUS!
1. As the "great multitude" in heaven broke out in praise to the Lord!
2. And we discovered that the word hallelujah actually means "praise ye the Lord".
a) A combination of hallal = "praise", and yah = short for "Jehovah".
b) The saints are overwhelmed with worship as the Lord clothes them in the pure white robes and readies them for the "marriage supper of the Lamb"!
(1) That complete and final restoration of God’s people to Himself!
(2) But the "supper" must be held on the earth and the earth is still in bondage to the "kings of the earth"!
(a) Which are in turn: in bondage to the beast, the dragon, and the false prophet!
(b) These as well as a multitude of human armies are gathered in a place called Armageddon, under the power of their commander and chief (satan) readied for the final war with the Lord!
(3) Let’s take a look at this morning’s study!
II. Rev_19:11-16 NOW I SAW HEAVEN OPENED, AND BEHOLD, A WHITE HORSE. AND HE WHO SAT ON HIM WAS CALLED FAITHFUL AND TRUE, AND IN RIGHTEOUSNESS HE JUDGES AND MAKES WAR.
12 HIS EYES WERE LIKE A FLAME OF FIRE, AND ON HIS HEAD WERE MANY CROWNS. HE HAD A NAME WRITTEN THAT NO ONE KNEW EXCEPT HIMSELF.
13 HE WAS CLOTHED WITH A ROBE DIPPED IN BLOOD, AND HIS NAME IS CALLED THE WORD OF GOD.
14 AND THE ARMIES IN HEAVEN, CLOTHED IN FINE LINEN, WHITE AND CLEAN, FOLLOWED HIM ON WHITE HORSES.
15 NOW OUT OF HIS MOUTH GOES A SHARP SWORD, THAT WITH IT HE SHOULD STRIKE THE NATIONS. AND HE HIMSELF WILL RULE THEM WITH A ROD OF IRON. HE HIMSELF TREADS THE WINEPRESS OF THE FIERCENESS AND WRATH OF ALMIGHTY GOD.
16 AND HE HAS ON HIS ROBE AND ON HIS THIGH A NAME WRITTEN: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. (NKJV)
A. John had seen this white horse and its rider before in Rev_6:2 And I looked, and behold, a white horse. He who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer. (NKJV)
1. In this earlier verse, (or vision as it were for John), the rider’s identity was not given, but here he is identified as the Faithful and True One.
a) Now, we know that even by human standards, there is only one who is Faithful and True, JESUS CHRIST!
2. Notice in verse 1 that He returns as Judge and Warrior!
a) As judge, he must and has pronounced a sentence against all who have oppose His Truth.
b) And as Warrior, HE will carry out the sentence of judgment!
(1) 12 His eyes were like a flame of fire: Just as fire is a great purifier, sometimes leveling entire cities in its path, so are the Lord’s eyes!
(a) Nothing that needs to be judged and purged will escape His "FAITHFUL" eyes!
(b) Pro_15:3 The eyes of the LORD are in every place, Keeping watch on the evil and the good. (NKJV)
3. On His head were many crowns, but these are not the same "crowns" mentioned in chapter Rev_4:10 the twenty-four elders fall down before Him who sits on the throne and worship Him who lives forever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, . . . (NKJV)
a) They are also not the crown mentioned in Rev_6:2 And I looked, and behold, a white horse. He who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer. (NKJV)
b) You see, in the two verses I have just mentioned, the Greek word stephanos is used and it means the crown given to the winners in the Olympic games, usually a woven wreath given to the winner.
c) But here in chapter 19 the word diadema is used which has a much different meaning:
(1) A diadem, was a blue band marked with white which Persian kings used to bind on the turban or tiara; their kingly crown!
(2) You see He is not only returning victorious, He is also returning as KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS! vrs 16
(a) He is the King of all creation, but satan has been known as the god of this earth for a long time.
(i) 2Co_4:3-4 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. (KJV)
(b) Now the Lord comes to regain what is His rightfully His!!
(3) Evidently Johns sees on this "diadem" a name written that no one could understand but the Lord Himself!
4. He is wearing a "robe dipped in blood."
a) This time it is symbolic of the slaughter that will take place in this final battle.
(1) Isa_63:1-3 Who is this who comes from Edom, With dyed garments from Bozrah, This One who is glorious in His apparel, Traveling in the greatness of His strength? -- "I who speak in righteousness, mighty to save."
2 Why is Your apparel red, And Your garments like one who treads in the winepress?
3 "I have trodden the winepress alone, And from the peoples no one was with Me. For I have trodden them in My anger, And trampled them in My fury; Their blood is sprinkled upon My garments, And I have stained all My robes. (NKJV)
5. This mighty conqueror is none other that the "Word of God!
a) It is the same "Word" that John speaks of in Joh_1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. (NKJV)
b) It is Jesus, the LOGOS or expression of God!
6. He is not alone!
a) A clean, spotless, spiritual "Cavalry" is under His command.
(1) Picture the sight. The Lord leading the way crowned in majesty, riding upon a white stallion with a robe dipped in blood!
(2) Following right behind are millions of saints all dressed in white, and also riding upon white stallions, ready for battle.
7. In the Lord’s mouth is a long "saber" or sword.
a) Could it be that His primary offensive weapon is His testimony Heb_4:12-13 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account. (NKJV)
b) During the millennium, the Lord will rule these Gentile nations with an "iron fist" so to speak. He will demand absolute obedience!
c) He has no need for a sword on His hip as did the warrior of John’s day, since His weapon is in His mouth!
(1) Another indication that this is an unconventional battle! 2Co_10:3-5 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh.
4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, . . . (NKJV)
(2) Even in our own walk, it is the testimony of God’s grace that is our greatest "weapon" -
Jim had recently purchased a lumberyard. Though he enjoyed being his own boss, he was looking forward to catching up on all the book work. He intensely disliked working on Sundays, but that was where he was headed. If I ever get my books in order maybe I'll be able to spend more time "loving as Christ loves" like the pastor challenged us today. Jim thought as he drove. When Jim arrived at the yard, he parked across the street from the front door. As he headed towards the front door of the office building, a flurry of activity caught his attention. Two young men were busying themselves loading lumber into a truck. As you have guessed the yard was not open on Sunday! Jim turned and rushed to his car. Fumbling with his keys he struggled to unlock and get in his car. When he finally got the auto started, Jim stopped. He bowed his head and prayed, "Lord, what would you have me do that these two men might know your love?" In the quiet, Jim heard God's answer. Shutting off the car engine, Jim headed back towards the lumberyard and the two hard working thieves. As he approached, Jim let out a hearty, "Howdy!" The men were aghast and attempted to stammer out a reply, but no words came. "Could I lend you guys a hand?" Jim asked. "I guess so," one weakly replied. At that the three men returned to the task of loading the truck with lumber. When the task was almost complete, Jim asked the men, "Would you guys like a cold drink?" "Sure, but where are you going to get it--break in next door? Nothing's open." "I think I know where I can get some cokes; I'll be right back." Jim went to the side of the building and let himself in. On his return the three workers stopped long enough to quickly down the sodas. One of the young men then announced, "You are the best thief we've ever seen!" "I'm not a thief," Jim countered. "Sure you're not; you think we own this place!" "No, you don't own it; I do!" After a time of silent disbelief, Jim told the men, "Look if you need this lumber, I want you to take it. All I ask is that you take this card with you. It has an address on the back. I meet with several men every Tuesday night to study the Bible there. You take this lumber as a gift and if you would like to come, join us some Tuesday." The men were soon gone and Jim was sure he would never see them again. To his surprise, however, they did attend a Bible study within the month and both accepted Christ as Savior and Lord. - Bill J. Cox, Peculiar, MO.
d) And John notices His name written on the robe as well as His thigh, KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS!
(1) The rightful heir of all things!!
III. Rev_19:17-18 THEN I SAW AN ANGEL STANDING IN THE SUN; AND HE CRIED WITH A LOUD VOICE, SAYING TO ALL THE BIRDS THAT FLY IN THE MIDST OF HEAVEN, "COME AND GATHER TOGETHER FOR THE SUPPER OF THE GREAT GOD,
18 "THAT YOU MAY EAT THE FLESH OF KINGS, THE FLESH OF CAPTAINS, THE FLESH OF MIGHTY MEN, THE FLESH OF HORSES AND OF THOSE WHO SIT ON THEM, AND THE FLESH OF ALL PEOPLE, FREE AND SLAVE, BOTH SMALL AND GREAT." (NKJV)
A. There has already been issued an invitation to the "marriage supper of the Lamb"
1. Now an invitation to quite a different supper is given!
2. The special guests to the marriage supper are the redeemed saints.
3. To this "supper" is invited the flesh eating birds of prey from all over the world!
a) Their main course will be the flesh and blood of the victims of Armageddon (men and beast)!
b) Mat_24:28 tell us that ". . . wherever the carcass is, there the eagles will be gathered together. (NKJV)
c) Eze_39:17-20 And as for you, son of man, thus says the Lord GOD, 'Speak to every sort of bird and to every beast of the field: "Assemble yourselves and come; Gather together from all sides to My sacrificial meal Which I am sacrificing for you, A great sacrificial meal on the mountains of Israel, That you may eat flesh and drink blood.
18 You shall eat the flesh of the mighty, Drink the blood of the princes of the earth, Of rams and lambs, Of goats and bulls, All of them fatlings of Bashan.
19 You shall eat fat till you are full, And drink blood till you are drunk, At My sacrificial meal Which I am sacrificing for you.
20 You shall be filled at My table With horses and riders, With mighty men And with all the men of war," says the Lord GOD. (NKJV)
(1) Some commentators feel that this is the aftermath of two different battles since this one in Ezekiel is "on the mountains of Israel" while the carnage at Armageddon is in the "valley of Jehosaphat".
(2) That may be, but for our purposes this morning, the illustration is the same!
(a) The Lord is going to supply a great feast of human flesh for the birds of the air!
(b) Whether the stories are true or not, I don’t know, but they have been circulating and even published that there has been a tremendous increase in the population of "birds of prey" in the middle east!
IV. Rev_19:19-21 AND I SAW THE BEAST, THE KINGS OF THE EARTH, AND THEIR ARMIES, GATHERED TOGETHER TO MAKE WAR AGAINST HIM WHO SAT ON THE HORSE AND AGAINST HIS ARMY.
20 THEN THE BEAST WAS CAPTURED, AND WITH HIM THE FALSE PROPHET WHO WORKED SIGNS IN HIS PRESENCE, BY WHICH HE DECEIVED THOSE WHO RECEIVED THE MARK OF THE BEAST AND THOSE WHO WORSHIPED HIS IMAGE. THESE TWO WERE CAST ALIVE INTO THE LAKE OF FIRE BURNING WITH BRIMSTONE.
21 AND THE REST WERE KILLED WITH THE SWORD WHICH PROCEEDED FROM THE MOUTH OF HIM WHO SAT ON THE HORSE. AND ALL THE BIRDS WERE FILLED WITH THEIR FLESH. (NKJV)
A. For the last 3 1/2 years the beast has been the "king of the world" so to speak.
1. In one mighty act of God, the beast and the false prophet are captured and forever confined to the "lake of fire"!
a) They are its first occupants. It is only later that the devil and everyone who has rejected Jesus as Lord will join them! ( Rev_20:10 ; Rev_20:15 )
2. All the "kings of the earth" somehow had hope that they would defeat the Lord and His redeemed army until now!
a) Now it has become evident that they were lied to by satan, but it is too late!
B. It is interesting to note that this is the first place in scripture that the lake of fire is mentioned (by this name)!
1. It is not the same place as Hades, or Sheol which are often translated as "HELL".
a) You see it is from Hell or Hades that the unsaved dead are resurrected and judged, then cast into the "lake of fire" according to Rev_20:13-15 !
b) This place was never intended for humans but it will be the home of millions forever!
(1) Mat_25:41 "Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: (NKJV)
(2) It may not have been intended for man, but all those in verse 21 will be there!
(3) I pray that none here this morning will be!
ZIGGY is sitting in his lawn chair looking at the lawn mower and says: "Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid entirely."
Robert Rhodes is Director of new Mexico's Natural History Museum in Albuquerque. And he lost a tooth last week. The tooth was a fossilized mastodon molar--about the size of a telephone receiver. Rhodes put the tooth down by a public phone in Santa Fe when he stopped to make a call, then forgot to take it with him. When he realized he'd left the tooth behind, he went back to get it--but it was gone. This should serve as a reminder that if you don't take good care of your teeth, you'll lose them. Take Good care of your faith!!
These files are public domain.
Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Used by Permission.
Brown, John. "Commentary on Revelation 19". John Brown's Commentary on Selected Books of the Bible. https://www.studylight.org/
the Fifth Week after Easter